Discuss Temperature rating of equipment. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

codger

-
Reaction score
An armoured 90 degrees cable is to be installed between two pieces of equipment. The equipment at either end is rated at the standard 70degrees C. The cable was tested as a 70degrees cable but another organisation has said that the cable must be tested as a 90degree cable regardless of the equipment rating. Does this sound ok..?

Cheers

I don't follow the 'tested' part. In the situation u describe the cable is usually treated as running at 70 degrees and its ccc is the 70 degree one.

you need to explain a little better .

if you have specced a 90 degree cable and plan to run at 90 degrees you need to check with manufacturers that there equipment can handle the 90 degree temp .

If the equipment is only rated to 70ºC then the cable must be assessed on current carrying capacity and resistance (impedance) as only ever being able to run at 70ºC. Any variation of the values that may be present because it could run at 90ºC must be disregarded as it would never be safe to run it in this way.

An armoured 90 degrees cable is to be installed between two pieces of equipment. The equipment at either end is rated at the standard 70degrees C. The cable was tested as a 70degrees cable but another organisation has said that the cable must be tested as a 90degree cable regardless of the equipment rating. Does this sound ok..?

Cheers

As Richard stated...

The company you refer too, need to provide sound technical argument to make that sort of statement!! Otherwise you would need to assess virtually every SWA installation over the last 5 years or so for 90C compliance (whatever that means), as the majority of SWA cables supplied as standard by wholesalers over that time, have XLPE insulated conductors!!

From what i can make of it, you need to stipulate 70C PVC insulation when ordering these days...

Reply to Temperature rating of equipment. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net