Discuss Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi guys, posted this in another topic, was hoping for somemore feedback...

It seems a lot of the testers out there only carry out a low current test and IR @ 250V, particularly the battery machines.
Seems strange, how can these be used to test equipment effectively if they perform the full range of tests??? for example insulation at 500V and hard contunuity test as per COP.

So, have been asked by a friend to test the appliances in his cafe, mainly fridges, kettle, microwave etc.

One thing im stuck on, he has a 3 phase pizza oven which is connected via large red commando socket, what would you do in this situation? I was thinking stripping the plug back and testing with multi-function tester?

Could anyone advise on a tester they would recommend, I will be looking for domething in the budget end of the market as will not be doing much PAT, when i am it will be general appliances as listed above?

Could be wrong here but the 3 phases get linked out along with the neutral to test it against earth as for disconnect first of all if you a PAT tester ie not an electrician then you should not be doing this as you will not be insured or authorised so if you are doing a couple of these year in year out get yourself a commando socket and a plug top then make an adaptor then you are good to go

The easiest way of do this test is with the appropriate 3 phase BS EN 60309 'commando' connector to single phase BS1363 Plug, where the L1,L2 & L3 are connected to the BS1363 L, N to BS1363 N and E to BS1363 E. The link below is for illustration only as it shows all the common 3 phase BS EN 60309 'commando' connector to BS1363 plug adapters on one page, note there are cheaper versions available from other suppliers, notably on Fleabay.

PAT Testing Accessories for all PAT Testers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MarkieSparkie for clear response.

Again in relation to testers if I was to purchase a tester that carries out a low current earth bond test and insulation test at only 250v would this satisfy.
Or would it be rerquired to test high current earth bond and insulation at 500v.

Seems a lot of the testers only offer the low earth bond test and IR at 250v???

The thing is you need to buy a tester that suits your business the only thing is it like buying a TV what functions do you go for I bought a Megger 1553 because I thought the bluetooth function was pretty neat only thing is I have never used it so i wasted my money 6 months ago I bought the Kewtech KT71 PAT tester bundle because it was what I call a mid range tester it had everything I wanted but that did not stop me fretting over the should have I got the battery model KT72 so instead I got it to suit my business ie I will not be doing 100s at a time so make your choice and ask yourself would you spend as much time as this picking a TV

Could be wrong here but the 3 phases get linked out along with the neutral to test it against earth as for disconnect first of all if you a PAT tester ie not an electrician then you should not be doing this as you will not be insured or authorised so if you are doing a couple of these year in year out get yourself a commando socket and a plug top then make an adaptor then you are good to go
yes they do Old.....as with IR testing with a pat tester....its a `limited` test....that is to say between all live conductors TO earth....

The easiest way of do this test is with the appropriate 3 phase BS EN 60309 'commando' connector to single phase BS1363 Plug, where the L1,L2 & L3 are connected to the BS1363 L, N to BS1363 N and E to BS1363 E. The link below is for illustration only as it shows all the common 3 phase BS EN 60309 'commando' connector to BS1363 plug adapters on one page, note there are cheaper versions available from other suppliers, notably on Fleabay.

PAT Testing Accessories for all PAT Testers
this is it though Mark..most of the accessories/adaptors/flying leads/earth bond plugs....you can make up yourself.....cheaper and you can keep your own `quality control` over em....

this is it though Mark..most of the accessories/adaptors/flying leads/earth bond plugs....you can make up yourself.....cheaper and you can keep your own `quality control` over em....

Too right Glenn I,ve made quite a few for different jobs and you can make half a dozen yourself for the price of a bought one.

I full agree mate, I made all mine, but it seems most Sparks these days either don't know how to or don't want to be bothered. Also the OP or reader of the thread might be a portable appliance tester but not a Spark. I described the connections so they could make their own or they could use the link or Fleabay to buy ready made.

Reply to Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net