Discuss The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Or maybe saving the offending member of this forum a bit of face and allowing them time to remedy it?

We don't know the circumstances as to why (if there are any) this install has been 'left' like this.

The Industry has been put under a stupid amount of pressure in the last 6 months, I'm now Grey because of it:)

As Earth Store said, the company that done this is an active and respected member on this forum, so a little respect is in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe saving the offending member of this forum a bit of face and allowing them time to remedy it?

We don't know the circumstances as to why (if there are any) this install has been 'left' like this.

The Industry has been put under a stupid amount of pressure in the last 6 months, I'm now Grey because of it:)

As Earth Store said, the company that done this is an active and respected member on this forum, so a little respect is in order.

my thoughts exactly,but if that had been some random picture of a job done by a chancer(of which there is many in every industry) they may have not been afforded the chance of a reply to why the install was a temp fix..and adding to that i respect your post

Well that being the case I think earthstore has put his name to this thread and was very brave to do so and I admire him for this.
I was unaware of the backround until now...

This company post on this forum and are very well respected by all of us, they are one of the top people on here,(no its not TED) and especially with their background they know they should not have left it like this, even if it is a temporary measure.

That's me in the clear then :) but seriously, it's a bit off saying they post on here and then not naming them.

I'd have respect for said company if they posted their reasoning behind the installation being left like that.
It's hide behind the stone or 'man up' time!

I think there needs to be great care conducting witch hunts either on here or with professional bodies. Many companies have very similar names, we have been mistaken for another local company many times (had some free advertising out of it once!) and I for one would be very miffed and talking to my solicitor if someone 'named and shamed' me on here for an install that wasn't mine.
There is also tendency to criticise installs when we don't know the full details of them and jump to assumptions re factors such as shading or panel distribution when we don't know the full story.
There are also, as we have seen on here many times, differences in opinion in interpretations of the regs and I doubt there aren't any of us out there who haven't either deliberately or accidently breached a reg ot two.
I know of another installer on here who is very willing to dob people in, who's own installs don't accord with my own interpretation of the regs, but I wouldn't be so arrogant as to report him for it.
I have only once reported another electrician, for truly appalling breaches of the regs and a dangerous installation in a kitchen, but unless the case is very clear cut (as it would appear here) I think it is often better to just do your own thing to the best of your abilities and let the rest ride past.

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

It's got to be worth sending a PM to the person suspected of being the installer here to double check it actually is their work, and make sure they're aware of the thread / state of the job.

Could be it's not them, could be that it is them but they've not seen the thread, or not realised it had anything to do with them if it wasn't actually them directly involved in this particular install (ie if it was their installation team, but not them personally).

Could also be that there's a reason it's been left like this temporarily, though I'd be interest to see the justification.

I agree with previous posters that offering criticism without all the facts is a tricky thing. If the job is by someone well regarded on here they would be crazy not to want to sort it out. Not me BTW!

as it's non domestic, I'm thinking that it maybe didn't have planning permission, but the customer wanted it installed and commissioned before the 3rd March, so it was temporarily put up without being fixed in place to avoid planning problems.

Lots of dodgy ground there though if that was the case.

Ok, I confess, during the rush I hired a helicopter to get stuff to site quickly, one of the pallets fell out the back and this is how all the panels landed!!:lol:

JOKE! it aint me either!

Poor work, not fit to be called a solar install. Very much doubt any respected member would admit to that publically.

I'm sure you can hazard a guess at the firm, not many respected members who cover that patch, what panels are they - maybe thats a clue!!

Reply to The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net