Discuss The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jesus it gets worse. Theres more than enough installers out there waiting to cut their competitions throat and you want you give them the knife. Give me a ****ing break.
how else do you suggest the industry can raise the standards overall?

The other way I see it happening is that those installers who've gone bust / been laid off get taken on by Napit etc as assessors and given free reign to assess the rest of the industry that's still in business, with minimal quality control on the actual assessors work prior to them becoming assessors... or we just bumble along as now with minimal assessment of workmanship, as long as the paperwork is in order.

or do you not think that this is an issue?

eta - I'm just throwing this out there as an idea, if there's no support for it, then fair enough.

We are not the problem. We need a universal solution to this. We need the toe rags sqeezed out. The people who should be reading this thread are the MCS Working Group. I would really like to see them engage with this discussion and see their responses to our concerns. I doubt if they have the slightest inkling as to the anger that exists about how our industry is being tarnished for no good reason or how much we care about this issue.

This is about outcomes. Outcomes are what is on the roof, in the attic and in the cupboard with the CU. Outcomes are honest and accurate predictions of performance. Outcomes are satisfied and well informed customers. To my mind the rest of it does not matter. This is from someone who used to be a member of the Institute of Quality Assurance. (I left because they were all ---- retentives who didn't understand customers).

I would like to see MCS fit for purpose. There is no reason why this should not be so.

Let me see what I can do tomorrow.

Do you lot think installing PV is any different from duoble glazing, plumbing, electrical, or any other trade that can shaft joe public. Its all part of life. PV company in my already made his company dormant and started new company but some kept his MCS number.

They will be lots of work in future doing remedials

Sorry, but this is totally the wrong attitude. PV can be different and should be different. We need the mechanism to ensure it is different. We need a better level of professionalism.

Would you say the same about your doctor, dentist or lawyer? I doubt it. Why should our sector be any different? Consumers have the right to expect the best. Renewables are brilliant and part of the new economy. This means we need to play by new and better rules.

Restarting under same MCS number would be easy to deal with.

How can you do remedials if it is not your job and the customer doesn't even know they have a non compliant poor quality installation?

How many customers will thank you for telling them they bought the wrong house, car, holiday, tele or married the wrong woman? How many will thank you for telling them that in your opinion their install isn't up to scratch.

I often wonder what potential customers think when they come on here and see us moaning about installs we've seen, sales tactics we've heard. That we the installers think REAL, the registration bodies and DECC are a joke. Do you think it inspires them to find a decent installer or puts them off because the industry isn't policed well enough at the moment and the chances of them getting ripped off are too high.

I learnt a valuable lesson from a customer many years ago when going to price up a boiler replacement when minutes after entering his home he said "I know all about running down the competition so don't bother trying" We have gone on to install solar thermal and pv along with general plumbing work for them over the years.

I don't run down the competition. I don't lie and if I don't know the answer to a question I tell them( the pc) I'll find out and come back to them. Don't ask a woman whether the children in an obvious photo are her grand children( they won't be ) I have got every job bar 3 that we've priced over the years (going back long before this mcs lark started) one of them I didn't want. One of them they didn't need it. The other one I lost left me gutted.
Remember you are first selling yourself and then the install.

Oh and the worst installer I have ever employed was an clearskies assessor (remember them?) I wonder if he's now an mcs inspector.

How many customers will thank you for telling them they bought the wrong house, car, holiday, tele or married the wrong woman? How many will thank you for telling them that in your opinion their install isn't up to scratch.
That's not how I'd envisage the sort of think I was suggesting working - it'd be the installers that were given the feedback in confidence, not the customer, though I'd hope the installers would then do something about it if there were significant issues picked up. I suppose in the event of a dangerous situation being picked up, you'd want evidence that the installer had rectified the situation, otherwise you'd also be liable if the danger became reality and you'd done nothing else to warn the customer / ensure the situation was sorted, but outside of that situation it'd just be feedback for the installer I reckon.

Apart from anything else, you'd need to give the installer chance to explain why they'd done something the way they had, as there can sometimes be valid reasons for doing something that is outside of the general guidance.

The point of this for me wouldn't be pointing fingers, ruining reputations etc, it's the complete opposite - it's about recognising the limitations of the current training, advice, regulations and assessment to cover all possible aspects of the installations fully, and enabling best practice to be spread throughout the industry from installer to installer (probably in both directions a lot of the time), at the same time as helping those companies to conduct a thorough quality assurance system of double checking a proportion of the systems they've installed to ensure that if there are any issue they get picked up before it becomes a serious multiple installation warranty issue a few years down the line for them. For me, that's a large part of why I post on these and other forums is both to learn from others experience in some areas, and pass on my own experience in others.
I often wonder what potential customers think when they come on here and see us moaning about installs we've seen, sales tactics we've heard. That we the installers think REAL, the registration bodies and DECC are a joke. Do you think it inspires them to find a decent installer or puts them off because the industry isn't policed well enough at the moment and the chances of them getting ripped off are too high.
true, which is why I'm trying to make a positive suggestion for a change instead of just having a moan, which tbf I have been guilty of on a few occasions recently, so maybe that is best kept for the lounge.

I learnt a valuable lesson from a customer many years ago when going to price up a boiler replacement when minutes after entering his home he said "I know all about running down the competition so don't bother trying" We have gone on to install solar thermal and pv along with general plumbing work for them over the years.

I don't run down the competition. I don't lie and if I don't know the answer to a question I tell them( the pc) I'll find out and come back to them. Don't ask a woman whether the children in an obvious photo are her grand children( they won't be ) I have got every job bar 3 that we've priced over the years (going back long before this mcs lark started) one of them I didn't want. One of them they didn't need it. The other one I lost left me gutted.
Remember you are first selling yourself and then the install.
I agree, although we will point it out if we know that someone's being told something entirely wrong - eg the company flogging rebadged chinese panels as being UK made, when the customer is telling us they're thinking of preferring them due to their use of UK panels.... we got that job.

And if that's honestly your success rate that's pretty astonishing, so fair play for that. Out of interest, where abouts in the country are you? I reckon our success rate is about the same for the work we do in Inverness, which is all word of mouth, but around our home base there are now 300 companies MCS certified for solar PV within 30 miles, so there's a hell of a lot more competition, and we're more like 1 job per 2.5 quotes, but 1 in 1.5 or better for recommendations.

Oh and the worst installer I have ever employed was an clearskies assessor (remember them?) I wonder if he's now an mcs inspector.
That's the point I'm making / asking really - how can we (or the industry) make this situation better without it just being another box ticking paperwork exercise.

eta - anyway, that suggestions just my thought for the day. Maybe it's a brilliant idea, maybe it's a total non-starter.... I've no idea which, but I can confidently say it's somewhere on that spectrum.;)

Gavin we're basically singing from the same song sheet but coming at it from different angles. I have always voiced the opinion that it should be heard elsewhere as I believe here it does more harm than good.

I'm against the likes of solar king having a word with their friends about thing that are said here in an attempt to change things as it gives the appearance that it is something on which we all agree, we don't.

And if that's honestly your success rate that's pretty astonishing, so fair play for that. Out of interest, where abouts in the country are you? I reckon our success rate is about the same for the work we do in Inverness, which is all word of mouth, but around our home base there are now 300 companies MCS certified for solar PV within 30 miles, so there's a hell of a lot more competition, and we're more like 1 job per 2.5 quotes, but 1 in 1.5 or better for recommendations.

The 3 jobs not done. That's the truth. And there's more than a little competition here in in Cambridgeshire. One of the guy's that has posted on here is always moaning to me about how few jobs he wins from quotes he does but doesn't understand it's the moaning that loses him the work in the first place. He's a nice bloke, his work is good but you don't inspire confidence in people by moaning about others.

To be honest, I do like Gavin's idea a lot. It may be flawed in places (or it may not be) but I think a fair few of us do agree that things could be improved with regards to MCS.

It seems glaringly obvious to me that the MCS accreditation process is far too weighted towards the paperwork side of things - something which has been highlighted by the jaw-droppingly stupid situation where an annual MCS inspection could be purely based on paperwork.

It is because of this setup that FAR too many firms are getting in despite having little or, in some cases, zero knowledge of what they are doing. There are firms out there which are MCS accredited that have no technical knowledge of how to install a system. Incidentally, I met a guy a couple of years ago who was starting up a PV business. He was a guy with a sales background and he wanted us on board to do the installs. The figures he was talking about were simply hilarious and we didn't get any further. About 12 months ago, we went back to a guy who had chosen this firm over ourselves (they promised to fit more panels than we could - we refused on the grounds that it wouldn't work.) As expected, this system isn't producing anything like what it should do. The firm had made a royal mess of it - yet, I expect, their paperwork will be absolutely top-notch. Ask this customer if he was more concerned with a company's competence or whether their QMS was in order and he would think you were taking the Micky Twiss.

Surely I am not alone in thinking that this situation cannot continue. The amount of bad installs out there IS alarming and depressing. If the QMS is so important and the MCS is so concerned with it then so be it - but this leaves a glaring gap in the competence side of things that they don't appear to be able to fill. Either they need to sort things out (their new proposals do appear to be a step in the right direction, admittedly) or another body needs to take care of the competency side of things.

Gavin is right that people with know-how and experience are very few and far between (which is why training is also frequently pitiful) so his idea surely has some merit? If people would prefer to discuss this in the Sun Lounge, then so be it. I don't think this is being overly negative - A the very least, it should make any of the general public that are reading this forum more keen to be careful when they choose who they have to install their system.

unfortunately, it seems the route to proving competency lies in getting yet more bits of paper rather than actually looking at the quality of work, and that will cause a problem for many of us. The guys I use for roofing for example aren't professional roofers, but they do a better job than the professional roofers I have used in the past.

I also think doing the competition down is a bad approach, it gives a very negative vibe to the proceedings and actually makes a customer subconsiously think negatively about you. It goes on a lot in the electrical industry and I think it's a very bad thing. The furthest I usually go to is to say 'well, I would have probably not done it that way' unless I am being asked to provide a critical appraisal of work.

I would rather talk about why we are so good! Then the customer makes a decision about who is the best, rather than who is not the worst.

Reply to The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net