Discuss Trainee Contracts Manager Confusion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tapley1999

Evening everyone, just a quick query regarding a vacancy that's popped up that I'm interested in. It's basically a trainee position for a contracts manager and they are offering around £24k. Being a apprentice trained spark for 10years with a fairly extensive knowledge varying from offshore robotics, industrial to shop fitting and hospitals I believe I'd be taking a bit of a kick in the teeth to drop my wages back to that, although I appreciate I'd be coming away once I've qualified (two years supposedly) with a good qualification/knowledge and a potential decent salary in a facility service employment and a job at home!
It's just I know the next two years would be a right financial struggle. I guess what I'm asking you guys for is if anyone has been through something like this and was it worth it, also do you think I could push for a higher salary as I'm coming "off the tools".
surely they can't expect an approved spark to take that sort of loss, or is that just how the game is with people being desperate and employers knowing this?!

It's a buyers market mate, they could look at you and decide you're worth more or they could look at a clueless graduate with no on the tools experience and a mountain of student debt who would lick the floors clean for less than that.
That said, shy bairns get nee sweeties. Go for it.

Evening everyone, just a quick query regarding a vacancy that's popped up that I'm interested in. It's basically a trainee position for a contracts manager and they are offering around £24k. Being a apprentice trained spark for 10years with a fairly extensive knowledge varying from offshore robotics, industrial to shop fitting and hospitals I believe I'd be taking a bit of a kick in the teeth to drop my wages back to that, although I appreciate I'd be coming away once I've qualified (two years supposedly) with a good qualification/knowledge and a potential decent salary in a facility service employment and a job at home!
It's just I know the next two years would be a right financial struggle. I guess what I'm asking you guys for is if anyone has been through something like this and was it worth it, also do you think I could push for a higher salary as I'm coming "off the tools".
surely they can't expect an approved spark to take that sort of loss, or is that just how the game is with people being desperate and employers knowing this?!

I myself am a contracts manager who progressed to the position in a different way. Basically I was on the tools looking after a site, then moved on to being a supervisor looking after a few sites then into the contract management. It does take a bit of development to get into the role with all the contractual and financial aspects that you wouldn't normally have to worry about but IMO it's worth it. Most CM roles will have bonus's for completion of jobs etc but it does take a bit of getting used to.

After the two years of struggeling, finacialy, is there a guarenteed job and pay rise? If so, it may well be worth it. Me late dad used to say, "you live to your means". It may be a struggle at first but the benefits in the long term may be great. You dont want to do the two years, only to find your back were you are now, only finding it harder to get a job like alot of sparkies out there.
What ever you decide, good luck mate.

Jay

Appreciate the feedback. It's all questions I can pop at them before I try and squeeze every penny out of them. What do you think the course would be they'd put me through or do you think it's just a timescale thing they may think will take you to get the grasp of the job. I've actually been in a good paying job for 3 years now so maybe I'm getting greedy but I'm getting sick of being away from home hence it maybe time to wear a short and tie!

Wearing a shirt and tie doesn't always mean being at home lol. I'm lucky if I'm home 6 weeks in a year. :)

its a trainee job,

24k for a trainee job is good, why not lower your cost of living so you can go for it lol
I'll show that to my wife!!!

From what I gather its predominantly a County type company, but I guess the MD would probably chase a contract anywhere. I'll be sure to come back and post the outcome from the interview. Cheers again fellas

Hi there

I would have thought you would work towards a BIFM qualification . If you want to go the contract managers way this is the minimum you would expect to gain within those couple of years. Have a look at this link it will give you more info

BIFM - BIFM qualifications

Wearing a shirt and tie doesn't always mean being at home lol. I'm lucky if I'm home 6 weeks in a year. :)

I have a mate whos a wood butcher and he works away the time, sometmes months on end. When he comes home, he go,s to the pub all weekend and rarely sees his kids. He earns over a grand a week though!!

Now im the other way around. I would rather earn £400 p/w and come home every night and see my lad, (NOT the wife),
Than work away for ages, earn thousands and not see my lad. I work to live, not live to work!
Each to there own I suppose.

Saying that, Im lucky to earn £50 p/w at the moment and its been like this for a good few months.

Hope it gos well for ya mate.

Jay

I have a mate whos a wood butcher and he works away the time, sometmes months on end. When he comes home, he go,s to the pub all weekend and rarely sees his kids. He earns over a grand a week though!!

Now im the other way around. I would rather earn £400 p/w and come home every night and see my lad, (NOT the wife),
Than work away for ages, earn thousands and not see my lad. I work to live, not live to work!
Each to there own I suppose.

Saying that, Im lucky to earn £50 p/w at the moment and its been like this for a good few months.

Hope it gos well for ya mate.

Jay

Fair play to you Jay I just wish I could be like you. Unfortunately I have 5 kids who I love dearly and a mrs plus all the other bills etc. I have no real choice but to keep the money coming in from doing whatever it takes and that is working away unfortunately.

I wont knock anyone for that mate. I know I could earn a packet from working away but are lass would spend it all, so the way I see it, if I only earn £400 p/w, she can only spend £400 p/w. Just wish she'd spend abit of it on something useful, like wait watchers..lol

But, at the moment, work is hard, ive been self employed for nearly 2 years and this xmas has been the worst for me ever. So much so, im biteing the bullet and looking for a PAYE job.....I wonder if Morrisons have any vacancies..lol

Jay

Sorry to hear that mate but it is very tough at the minute to make ends meet.

Reply to Trainee Contracts Manager Confusion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net