Discuss Unsatisfactory Domestic EICR - Should I rewire or spot fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chandan

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to buy a 1930s house for which I have got a Unsatisfactory rating for the Domestic EICR.
I am now in a bit of fix in deciding whether I should go for a complete rewire or just fix the issues raised in the report.

I am also planning a back extension in the next 6 months and I have around a month`s time before completion and move in. So I would like to be in a position where I dont need to do any work inside the property after I move in. Hence can the experts recommend what I should be doing ?

Details of the EICR Report for your reference.

1570831577129.png

1570831589165.png

1570831601572.png

1570831610370.png

Rgds,
CA

What's your background in Electrical stuff? Is this something you'll be aiming to fix yourself? Or have you had a couple of prices for repairs and full replacement etc?

What are you hoping to gain? - Just a rough guide as to which is cheaper?

Ther fault in the ring it could be a simple dodgy connection in the back of a socket or it could be junction boxes under the floor which could be almost impossible to find. The shower circuit will need rewiring and the board needs upgrading by the sounds of it. As well as my sneaking suspicion that not so good DIY alterations or bodges have been carried out on the installation so your never quite sure what’s lurking behind walls and under floors.
With the cabling apparently being 30 years old it may well be time to consider a rewire especially as the insulation resistances are starting to creep down. As long as the tests were carried out properly and this wasn’t a “drive by EICR” these results show that the cable may be degrading and while each of them do “pass” the IR test as it is at the moment a couple are certainly scraping through by the skin of their teeth.
I’d say your best course of action would be to contact 3 local sparks to get quotes/estimates, have a chat with them and show the report and see what their recommendations are from there.
From the report alone and obviously without the luxury of being able to cast an eye over the install my gut says that a rewire would Probably be the best option since there is likely to be some damage/lifting floors to rewire the shower circuit anyway. Plus if you rewire you can allow for the extension with new cicuits installed and coiled up ready to go once the extension is standing. Just make sure you use a competent registered spark in a scheme such as NICEIC, Stroma, NAPIT or the likes so they can sign off their work with building control and don’t let the builder do it if he can’t prove he’s adequately qualified or registered.

Last edited:
Since it is already an old house,
Then the best move is to do a total rewire and upgrade your safety,
Like you say the best time is now before you move in,
For sure not cheap, but peace of mind is beyond value
And a small percentage of the replacemant cost of a fire.
Some things you can scrimp and save on,
But electrical wiring of houses is NOT one of them
do it once do it well !

@Dan @MFS Electrical - Many thanks for your inputs. I was looking for some inputs in terms of what is the best way to spend my money. As the house has wall papers, and I am told rewiring would also mean, wallpapers are to be ripped apart + skimming etc needs to done, wanted to know if its worth spending money on rewiring+skimming + painting etc.

For a 1100sq ft house, what sort of money will i have to shell out for rewiring ?

We generally don't discuss prices in open forums because there are too many variations.

Get three local electricians to estimate and then listen to them all. See which one suits your needs best. And don't just go for the cheapest.

We generally don't discuss prices in open forums because there are too many variations.

Get three local electricians to estimate and then listen to them all. See which one suits your needs best. And don't just go for the cheapest.
I understand, but can you tell me would a rewiring also mean that the house will need replastering + repainting ? Or can this be done in a non-invasive way ?

some of those C2 and C3 observations are simple little jobs . a coupleof them, i'd argue with. e.g.
undersized earthing conductor might not be if adiabatic was used. it's not TNC-S.
those IR readings don'tlook right. L-N and L-E exactly the same???
and nowhere can i see the size of the supply L & N cables.

some of those C2 and C3 observations are simple little jobs . a coupleof them, i'd argue with. e.g.
undersized earthing conductor might not be if adiabatic was used. it's not TNC-S.
those IR readings don'tlook right. L-N and L-E exactly the same???
and nowhere can i see the size of the supply L & N cables.
The supply ‘tails’ are not required to be recorded on the report, same as the model forms in bs7671.
This is also the case for the EIC

Last edited:
You say "I have around a month`s time before completion and move in", which I'm reading as completion is in 1 month, and you will then move in straight way? So assuming you can't start work until completion, any work would be done while occupied? Which is always a lot harder (more costly) for a rewire.

If most of the wiring is original then it will be better for a full rewire.
Get a few quotes then you can decide on the best route forwards.
The electrician might be able to reuse some of the old cable routes and conduit drops with can cut back on the mess.
But a full rewire is a mucky dirty job no matter how hard you try to avoid dust and mess. So be prepared for some dust and lots of making good.

On the plus side for a rewire is that you can tailor the installation to your needs .
when you move in you may find that your kitchen outlets are inadequate for you needs, also sockets and lighting can be a matter of choice , not just having to make do with where they are now.
Do a plan of where you think you may need your facilities and the upheaval of having it done at a later date, you may find that, although not necessary now, a rewire is the most sensible option.

As already mentioned, re-wires are much easier and usually cheaper when property is empty and can be left overnight without power etc so you can carry on where you left off, boards left up etc etc. A concealed rewire means making good of plaster and wallpaper.
The issues raised in the report are pretty typical, some very minor but some do need looking at before you move you are your family in.
Hard to judge the age and state of the cable but i suspect its already been re-wired since it was built but could be due again.
I would have a good look at the property again and consider if the existing location of sockets and lights suit your purpose, if they do and the wiring is good, then you can just upgrade the board and fix the local issues raised (and anymore that will almost certainly come to light)

Post up here your rough location and I’m sure there are forum members that could visit and advise your best course of action.

The supply ‘tails’ are not required to be recorded on the report, same as the model forms in bs7671.
This is also the case for the EIC
tbh, hadn't spotted that on the few certs i've done recently. always used to be there (size and material).

Agreed report looks like its pretty shabby and while just about anything can be brought up to spec youd be throwing good money after bad. Rewire is a chance to improve and have exactly what you want. Ideally find a recommended spark who's confident and reassuring on lack of damage, damage and repair is inevitable but while some are very good at sympathetic rewiring with the minimum of destruction, others will leave it looking like a plumber has driven a roto-cultivator through the house.

if the internal walls are studded, and the external walls dry-lined, it's sometimes possible to fish cables with minimal damage. also, a lot of older properties have conduit in the walls, good for existing positions, but no use for alternative positions.

Reply to Unsatisfactory Domestic EICR - Should I rewire or spot fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net