Discuss Using a Chinese product on Uk power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased a new projector. It's a Chinese product (Xiaomi MJJGTYDS01FM Mijia Laser Projector TV 4K).

It comes with a Chinese plug so I had to buy an adapter, on the adapter packaging it says to ensure the device is duel voltage. I'm not sure that the projector is, all it says on the lead is 250V.

I'm a bit concerned about plugging it in, I don't want to damage it! I've posted some photos of the adapter, what it says on the back of pack as well as the lead of the device which gives its voltage info.

I'd appreciate some advise on this.

Thanks

Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_6183.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4673.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9214.JPG
    673 KB · Views: 29
Cut the Chinese plug off and fit a 13A plug so long as the projector is okay for UK voltage.

Third image looks like a standard clover leaf IEC lead. If you fit a UK plug please ensure it is fused correctly to the appliance rating.

Manufacturers specs aren't that clear but I would probably fuse down to 3 amps.

Thanks for the advise guys.

I reckon it is a clover leaf lead. I've noticed additional info on the plug, I've attached photos.

I'm not comfortable with cutting off the plug, can I just buy a lead? The forum wouldn't let me the attach a link but I found one amazon and did a screen grab, would this be suitable?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6243.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5649.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 19.43.25.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 17
Ok thanks.

I see the lead is fitted with 13A fuse, Strima suggested 3A fuse, but I am thinking the 13A fuse this lead has would be better, it is quite a large device with a powerful laser light, a 3A or 5A fuse might be more prone to blow?

If its a Chinese product it wont be CE marked, you run the risk of invalidating your home insurance in the event of a fire or opening yourself up the risk of civil or criminal prosecution if anyone were injured by it.

I've seen inside a fair bit of gear from China and SE asia and wouldnt want it anywhere near my family.

Cloverleaf (C5) connectors are only rated at 2.5A therefore the appliance consumption cannot be more than this. However, as you say, there can be situations in which the inrush of a power supply at switch-on eventually blows a 3A fuse. A 5A should be fine. In theory it should not be necessary to fuse right down to the appliance rating, as the appliance should contain its own protection and is a fixed load that cannot overload the cable. Any cable 0.75mm² or more (all modern power cables) is itself OK with a 13A fuse.

One caution - many separate power cables / cordsets that you can buy online, including from the likes of Amazon, are dangerous substandard items with non-compliant plugs, faulty fuses, no earth connection etc. Preferably buy one with from a recognised UK electrical brand, if such exists any more!

Cloverleaf (C5) connectors are only rated at 2.5A therefore the appliance consumption cannot be more than this. However, as you say, there can be situations in which the inrush of a power supply at switch-on eventually blows a 3A fuse. A 5A should be fine. In theory it should not be necessary to fuse right down to the appliance rating, as the appliance should contain its own protection and is a fixed load that cannot overload the cable. Any cable 0.75mm² or more (all modern power cables) is itself OK with a 13A fuse.

One caution - many separate power cables / cordsets that you can buy online, including from the likes of Amazon, are dangerous substandard items with non-compliant plugs, faulty fuses, no earth connection etc. Preferably buy one with from a recognised UK electrical brand, if such exists any more!

I'd be impressed to see a switch mode that could blow a BS 1363 on inrush.

If its a Chinese product it wont be CE marked, you run the risk of invalidating your home insurance in the event of a fire or opening yourself up the risk of civil or criminal prosecution if anyone were injured by it.

I've seen inside a fair bit of gear from China and SE asia and wouldnt want it anywhere near my family.

Being made in China doesn't automatically mean it isn't CE marked, there are plenty of items manufactured in China which are fully compliant and CE marked.

Being made in China doesn't automatically mean it isn't CE marked, there are plenty of items manufactured in China which are fully compliant and CE marked.

Made for the chinese market almost always means non CE. THe chinese have even go so far as creating the China export logo which is almost identical to the CE marking. Agreed products made in china to western standards are absolutely fine.

Made for the chinese market almost always means non CE. THe chinese have even go so far as creating the China export logo which is almost identical to the CE marking. Agreed products made in china to western standards are absolutely fine.

Not true. The “China Export” thing is just an Internet rumour.

Not true. The “China Export” thing is just an Internet rumour.

It’s not a real thing in that it’s not an actual compliance scheme. It is something the Chinese manufacturers do and its real enough I got a safety alert on it a couple of years ago. Can’t remember if it was from the IEE or IEC but it was a fairly reputable source.

Reply to Using a Chinese product on Uk power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net