Discuss VERY quiet ceiling mounted (min IP X4) bathroom fan recommendations? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2x Blauberg 'Calm 100H' fitted.

Are they as quiet as 25dB? I don't believe they are. The sound level meter app I downloaded this morning doesn't appear to be particularly accurate, but it does indicate a reasonable reduction in noise. Perhaps they are 'whisper quiet', but I'd place them at the louder end of the whisper range.

The ensuite fan seems slightly quieter than its predecessor (original wasn't too bad), but the difference is more more apparent from outside the room.

Main bathroom fan is much quieter than its predecessor (the noisey one) and difference outside the room is vast.

I suspect the actual noise created by fan operation is little different between old and new and that the real difference is reduced vibration. I'm most definitely happy with these fans and the noise difference in the house, but am glad I paid £47 each and didn't go with other options costing 2-3 times as much.

What interests me most is how the humidistat operation pans out and I suspect there'll be a few adjustments to be made.

On the installation side, they're a bit of a pain and have a small sealed compartment about the size that Aico provide on their detectors, with cable grip about 15mm back from terminations.

2x Blauberg 'Calm 100H' fitted.

Are they as quiet as 25dB? I don't believe they are. The sound level meter app I downloaded this morning doesn't appear to be particularly accurate, but it does indicate a reasonable reduction in noise. Perhaps they are 'whisper quiet', but I'd place them at the louder end of the whisper range.

The ensuite fan seems slightly quieter than its predecessor (original wasn't too bad), but the difference is more more apparent from outside the room.

Main bathroom fan is much quieter than its predecessor (the noisey one) and difference outside the room is vast.

I suspect the actual noise created by fan operation is little different between old and new and that the real difference is reduced vibration. I'm most definitely happy with these fans and the noise difference in the house, but am glad I paid £47 each and didn't go with other options costing 2-3 times as much.

What interests me most is how the humidistat operation pans out and I suspect there'll be a few adjustments to be made.

On the installation side, they're a bit of a pain and have a small sealed compartment about the size that Aico provide on their detectors, with cable grip about 15mm back from terminations.

Good info thanks. Keep us posted on the humidistat side of things!

I should have added that reduction in noise is accompanied by a siginifcantly greater rate of extraction.

Fundamental physics I suppose. Like people who expect full range performance from small speakers. I'll post a picture of my 1970s Wharfedale Kingsdales at some point. Loveliness!

I just open the window and the door. totally silent and no leccy costs.

Windows locked open all day in better weather and trickle vents open during the day through colder months. In my view that should be sufficient, but kids take long showers/baths at odd hours. I'd sooner pay for a couple of new fans, along low ongoing costs for electricity, than deal with the effects of excess moisture in a hermetically sealed modern home.

Revisiting this as I was quite harsh in that initial assessment. The noise reduction is stark - I still don't believe they're as quiet as 25dB, but they're much quiter than previous fans and most noise is from air being extracted. From outside the bathrooms they can barely be heard and from more than a few feet outside their operation is barely preceptible.

On a different note, the humidistats are fantastic. First couple of days they seemed to operate for longer, which suggests some residual moisture in the rooms - no damp, but obviosuly more moisture than expected. Since then they've worked flawlessly - they come on quickly when shower or bath is running and do their thing for as long as necessary. Humidistats are set at 60%, which I thought might be too ambitious for winter in NI, but that's worked out well and I like the idea of moist air being efficiently extracted.

Any news on the other fan, @HappyHippyDad ?

Revisiting this as I was quite harsh in that initial assessment. The noise reduction is stark - I still don't believe they're as quiet as 25dB, but they're much quiter than previous fans and most noise is from air being extracted. From outside the bathrooms they can barely be heard and from more than a few feet outside their operation is barely preceptible.

On a different note, the humidistats are fantastic. First couple of days they seemed to operate for longer, which suggests some residual moisture in the rooms - no damp, but obviosuly more moisture than expected. Since then they've worked flawlessly - they come on quickly when shower or bath is running and do their thing for as long as necessary. Humidistats are set at 60%, which I thought might be too ambitious for winter in NI, but that's worked out well and I like the idea of moist air being efficiently extracted.

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful.

They have some interesting colours in those fans...did you go for the red one?
fan.png

Is the Envirovent the one with 2 speeds? The slow speed being incredibly quiet, almost silent, yet extracting hardly anything? I might be getting this mixed up with another fan.
The environment infinity is a trickle fan which runs almost silent constantly then has a boost which can sound like a vulcan taking off in comparison

Vent Axia Svara is supposed to be very quiet, is very powerful, and can be ceiling mounted. Expensive though and not sure what the max ducting run is.

That's one which never appeared in my searches. Took a look at its specs, although wasn't expecting much, and was surprised to see a decent rate of extraction, along with low souund levels on its highest speed. Worth keeping in mind.

Useful thread

Has anyone experience of domus/silavent/polypipe humidistat pull switch ANC808A?

This claims smart humidity detection (AI, would you believe?), has override pullswitch, and can accept additional switched live. With 2.5A inductive load capacity sounds ok for an inline soler Palau fan - but is the humidistat really any better than eg Manrose one? They're considerably more pricy

Ceiling mounted and quiet is a huge debate as its been mentioned in this thread.... the bets fans run at 2 speeds . I like the constant running Xpelairs . This brand seems to cover 99.9999999% of what i have ever used and clients like . Its about "Reality " and clients been made aware that only certain things in life tend to be possible . God didnt think about extractor fans !!. BIGGEST mistake... tight closing bathroom door . Fan is on a hiding to nothing . There has to be a airflow

Ceiling mounted and quiet is a huge debate as its been mentioned in this thread.... the bets fans run at 2 speeds . I like the constant running Xpelairs . This brand seems to cover 99.9999999% of what i have ever used and clients like . Its about "Reality " and clients been made aware that only certain things in life tend to be possible . God didnt think about extractor fans !!. BIGGEST mistake... tight closing bathroom door . Fan is on a hiding to nothing . There has to be a airflow
Good points

Fan not ceiling mounted but via cork blocks to roof trusses to diminish sound/vibration intrusion

Fan intended to run on demand (elevated humidity from shower, toilet flush) with overrun timer. Won't need long; extract rate 250cu m ph; room 7.6cu m

An airflow is needed, yup! Probably undercut door

I've always found quiet fans a bit of a compromise as they generally have a lower extract rate to keep the noise down so you end up with a larger fan and duct to achieve the end result of keeping the noise down while maintaining the extract rate needed

Reply to VERY quiet ceiling mounted (min IP X4) bathroom fan recommendations? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net