Discuss Vintage electrical device picture puzzle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What's this out of? Brass cup about 2" diameter, porcelain ring inside, half filled with strange flaky powder with shiny specks of mica in it. There's another two of them in the unit. Over a century old.

Brass cup.jpg

No it's standing on a steel surface-table in the engineering shop. But post #2 got it already. It's part of a dimmer, or more accurately 'Martin's regulator'. It works like a carbon pile or carbon granule mic, with three of these cups of powder in a stack. As you turn the screw it compresses contacts either side of the layer of powder, reducing its resistance. According to the 1907 patent, the powder contains carbon, mica and sand. As the pressure is relieved, the springy mica flakes separate the carbon granules so that the resistance varies smoothly.

This one looks like it was a salesman's sample or demo unit as it has a little ivorine label on the pattress showing its recommended applications. I tested it, the resistance variation isn't very smooth but I think some of the powder has been lost through it being taken apart in the past so it's not a fair test. I doubt many modern dimmers would work at all after 100 years though.

Martins regulator side view.jpgMartins  regulator assembled.jpgMartins regulator label.jpg

The house I was working in last week may be of interest to you , it had all the old bell cranks and steel wires under the floorboards and pulls by the fire places , unfortunately the panel had been removed in the old scullery ...

Yes one day we need to get a set of servants bell equipment for the 'non-electrical' comparison section. I have a variety of pushes, bells and a couple of annunciator boards, but not the mechanical variety to compare with.

I recently saw a very large annunciator with windows for more or less every room in the house, even the 'Maids Bath' had a bell push.

If I can get back there I will speak to the owner and see if I can remove some of the bits for you , I used to see loads of bit years ago , lots in the West London area , I came across an old board that had a contactor setup with 2 mercury tube that hinged with contacts at each end and in the middle , with hindsight I wish I had kept it now ...

Some of the old enunciator panels were nice with a mechanical setup and a large battery to one side that rung the bell ,the flaps had a switch that made and the bell rung ...

Yes one day we need to get a set of servants bell equipment for the 'non-electrical' comparison section. I have a variety of pushes, bells and a couple of annunciator boards, but not the mechanical variety to compare with.

I recently saw a very large annunciator with windows for more or less every room in the house, even the 'Maids Bath' had a bell push.

Nice feature,Lucien,and a refreshing change from the shed RCD carry-on....

...As for the Maids' bell push,fairly standard round here,indeed,my three maids have one each...

Cheers :icon12:

OK, so what if there's only one maid, and she's in the bath. She pushes her own button, what happens next? Who gets the ding-dong?

what's more to the point is who gets in the bath with her?

Indeed, pressing the maid's button too much can land you in hot water. Or as someone phrased it the other day, ho****er. < see what I did there?

Now on a more electrical note, who under the age of 25 can answer me this: What's a 50 C.P. metal lamp (as shown on that little label?)

OK, so what if there's only one maid, and she's in the bath. She pushes her own button, what happens next? Who gets the ding-dong?

Ive heard tales:eek:mg_smile: that maids often pushed there own buttons.

ps I am over 50 and still had to think hard about the 50 CP

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, pressing the maid's button too much can land you in hot water. Or as someone phrased it the other day, ho****er. < see what I did there?

Now on a more electrical note, who under the age of 25 can answer me this: What's a 50 C.P. metal lamp (as shown on that little label?)

I am well over 25, nearer the age of the last (?) poster ... it took some searches on Google until I came up with the right 'angle' on the answer.

[video]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/Besoeker/Lamp03b_zpsca9c0be9.jpg[/video]

Carriage lamp.......I think.
A friend and I made the wooden base for display purposes.

Yes, and they said 'metal lamp' because at that time tungsten was not the only metallic filament in use. It was the opposite of carbon lamp which was standard and much less efficient. Because lamps were sold by C.P. output, not by power consumption in watts, the dimmer was given one C.P. rating for metal filaments and one for carbon, which corresponded to the same circuit wattage of around 60W.

If you look at a lamp of that age you will often find the rating given in the form 230-16, meaning 230V 16 C.P.

Reply to Vintage electrical device picture puzzle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net