Discuss What fire alarm system do you recommend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just wonder if there are any recommendations for a fire alarm system. A simple system conventional. It is a building (mosque) quite small as it goes around 100 sq m. 10 smokes one heat for kitchen. Three break glass, two sounders. So quite a small system. I have arranged the wiring for sounders and detectors to be on separate circuits. One large prayer room for upstairs, morgue, small prayer room wash room and toilets also disabled toilet. No chemicals are used in the morgue by the way. I am interested in a system that the manufacturer gives good support with quality in mind. Any suggestions will be appreciated. In line with the above request of course.

personally, I'd use wireles detectors. installed in a day. no mucking about clipping FP200 everywhere. OK, materials cost is higher. I'd price that with wireless @ around £3.5k. and make a good day's wage+.

Ah! already installed the cable so bit late for the wireless part.
if you are installing a conventional system ( 4 detector zones and 2 sounder circuits) i have a brand new panel going cheap, a couple of apollo 65 optical (brand new) and several apollo 65 heat (used). open to offers.

the panel has never been fitted, just has a 32mm hole bored in the back ((out of sight) as it was incorrectly ordered and could not return it because of the hole))

Twinflex pro. Easy twin wire system, no mucking around with seperate ccts.
Who has requested the fire alarm be installed, local fire officer?
Stay away from wireless fire alarms imo.
why the negative? bad experience or just prejidice?

Who has requested the fire alarm be installed
I was given architects drawings and working from them. The fire alarm system all mapped out and specced for install. The only thing is it specified that it must interlink to the main building. Not too sure about how that may be acheived. Suppose I could put a slave panel in. The first fix was done according to the plans. Come back a couple of weeks later and all the rooms have been changed around it is a bit of a nightmare this job it keeps changing all the time. Came back this week and they have added a 3kw vented heating system. Not part of the original plan at all.

Wireless systems are all very well on existing buildings where unsightly wires are undesirable but on a new build it is doubtful any specifiers would touch them with a barge pole, high initial costs along with battery replacement are a major issue because if failed batteries are left unattended the system can fail.

There is not a lot to choose between conventional control panels but some seem over complicated for the functions they perform. You need to look at the end user with regard to routine weekly tests and how the function of the control panel will inhibit this. I have lost count of the amount of sites I visit where routine checks are not carried out because the control panel is viewed as too complicated.

Reply to What fire alarm system do you recommend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net