Discuss What kind of access equipment do you use in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Looking into which type of access equipment is best to replace 20 or so flourescent fittings in a warehouse. The roof height is around 8 meters high.

The place that the work being done at has one of the cages that is locked onto the forks of a forklift truck, but don't think I could trust one of their drivers to move me around safely.

MEWP or scissor lift.

Don't like the sound of the cage on a fork lift trunk as is it covered by insurance and also has it been inspected by insurance company as a suitable lifting platform for personnel?

Narrow Scissor lift ideally - up n down!

Likes of HSS will do a MEWP course on the morning of hire in many places and add it to the hire fees.

Hello everybody, yes HSS do a course and they issue a certificate for it, they do it at almost all of their hire shops about once a week, and also do a ladder course believe it or not, and they do the pasma for alloy towers, they are about 90 pounds a go and you get a proper certificate, about the cheapest place you will get these tickets too...
Dont use the forklift cage, they are ILLEGAL, they were banned totally a few years ago after some dumais walked under one and got clattered, the health and safety banned them and they came into a place where I was working a few years ago and ate the directors when they seen one being used...

MEWP as has been said the narrowest one you can get bearing in mind the height it may not be the realy narrow ones

take care if its an "on the morning at delivery" this is only familurisation with the particular machine and shouldnt be taken as "Training" best to get IPAF scissors and boom takes a full day and course should cost around ÂŁ300ish

the cage thinggy Im not sure about them being"Ilegal" but I do know if you propse to use it your risk assesment will read like WarnPeace as well as the client having to shut down half the place and you deffo cant move while at height

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody, yes HSS do a course and they issue a certificate for it, they do it at almost all of their hire shops about once a week, and also do a ladder course believe it or not, and they do the pasma for alloy towers, they are about 90 pounds a go and you get a proper certificate, about the cheapest place you will get these tickets too...
Dont use the forklift cage, they are ILLEGAL, they were banned totally a few years ago after some dumais walked under one and got clattered, the health and safety banned them and they came into a place where I was working a few years ago and ate the directors when they seen one being used...
so, i suppose a plank across the top shelves is a no-no then

as is the clambering along tray n trunking
would have to be well fixed tray to take my 15 stone. praps i'll get a job, testing the fixings of trunking and tray by swinging on them.

would have to be well fixed tray to take my 15 stone. praps i'll get a job, testing the fixings of trunking and tray by swinging on them.

That's EXACTLY how the Clerks of Works used to test any conduit, tray and trunking fitted on LA works.....they swung off the install, and if it moved, it failed.

Simples. Who needs anything other than a fat CoW lol.....

That's EXACTLY how the Clerks of Works used to test any conduit, tray and trunking fitted on LA works.....they swung off the install, and if it moved, it failed.

Simples. Who needs anything other than a fat CoW lol.....
so, there is a use for ex wives then..........

so, there is a use for ex wives then..........

Lol - I'd only ever use mine for LIVE testing.......

Is it live? Did it hurt?? GOOD.

She'd break the hell out of anything else - or sell it before I'd the chance to finish testing it.....

All the money in the world wouldn't be enough for that one.

Course Information

Course is ÂŁ175 plus VAT

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What kind of access equipment do you use in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net