Discuss What type of electrical panel would you recommend to install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dali748

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a condo where I need to update/replace my electrical panel based on an electrician's diagnosis. He stated that due to the panel being old with loose breakers this is causing my dryer to not get enough power to operate properly and can lead to other issues down the road with breakers overheating at the busbar.

Attached is my current electrical panel, I believe this is a "125 Amp Square D QO12, 12-Space, 24-Circuit" panel?

Another issue I have is I believe the refrigerator and washer/dryer combo are on the same circuit because each time the power would trip it would cause the refrigerator and washer/dryer combo to lose power. As a temporary fix, I plugged the refrigerator to a different outlet and this has stopped from happening.

So I also want the electrician to run a separate line for each the washer/dryer combo and refrigerator.

Should I have the electrician install a "125 Amp Square D QO12, 24-Space, 24-Circuit" panel this way each breaker can be a "single" and not use any "twin" breakers in the panel? This way washer/dryer and refrigerator can be on their own circuits?

Thank you!

Attachments

• electrical_panel_2.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • electrical_panel_6.png
    798.3 KB · Views: 11
I would go with what your electrician is telling you.

You're correct in wanting to separate those circuits.

It looks like, you're going to need to keep 2 top cicuits as double pole. It appears to me those next set of breakers on each side are tied together, not necessarily 2 (double) pole. This may be because thay share neutrals. But it's hard to tell what exactly is going on there. I double down on my first statement.

I would go with what your electrician is telling you.

You're correct in wanting to separate those circuits.

It looks like, you're going to need to keep 2 top cicuits as double pole. It appears to me those next set of breakers on each side are tied together, not necessarily 2 (double) pole. This may be because thay share neutrals. But it's hard to tell what exactly is going on there. I double down on my first statement.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I talked to my electrician and he's going to upgrade the panel to a "GE 125 Amp 14-Space 24-Circuit Main Lug", he says he has installed the same panel for other condo owners in the building and has never had an issue with it; so I'll go with his recommendation.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I talked to my electrician and he's going to upgrade the panel to a "GE 125 Amp 14-Space 24-Circuit Main Lug", he says he has installed the same panel for other condo owners in the building and has never had an issue with it; so I'll go with his recommendation.
If you are upgrading your panel you need to go with a 40 circuit 20 space panel and you will have plenty of space for future use

Reply to What type of electrical panel would you recommend to install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net