Discuss Wi-Fi only 120v Lighting Controller? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MarkPR

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a home with very basic original lighting, light switches, etc. I also have about twenty 120v LED recessed lights I'd like to install in three rooms on their own 'zones'. Rather than adding additional wall switches/dimmers for each zone (room), is there a product that would allow me to hardwire a 'wi-fi' controller for each zone? IE, no wall switch, but all controlled through a wi-fi controller & app?

I envision not having to touch the existing room light switches, retro-fitting double or triple boxes and fishing romex in the walls, but have 3 controllers in the attic that have a hardwired 120v feed, and one output feed (120v) from each controller to power my string of recessed lights (about 6 per zone, three rooms) - and turn on/off/dim via an iPhone/PC app only.

Thanks

Not sure if your investment in recessed LED lights already precludes this suggestion, but might you consider Philips Hue wi-fi bulbs (or fittings) with a Philips hub. Bulbs can go in existing fittings if you wanted (just leave light switches on) or possibly your new fittings?, or you could use Philips integrated fittings.
App, voice, dimming, pir switching, battery remote control, and/or automation, colour control, all available. Possibly not the cheapest solution, but very flexible. Use them myself!
Otherwise if you Google, I'm sure there must be wi-fi switches or switch modules that could do what you want.

Assuming you do mean 'wi-fi', many of these systems use the internet to the service providers platform, so if your internet connection goes down, you may not be able to turn the lights on or off! (Not true for Philips Hue which are also bluetooth/zigbee)

Thank you for that! I do have Philips bulbs and a hub I use for our table lamps. I got 30 of these 4" LED ceiling lights very inexpensively, so trying to make these work - and we like the few we've put up so far. I will do some more searching for wi-fi switches or modules - and if I come up short, will dust off the fish tape and add more switches!

Reply to Wi-Fi only 120v Lighting Controller? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net