Discuss Wiring a van converted into a catering van? Help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

judd96

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I went to go and check some electrics on a friends catering van they have purchased. It's not a towable van, it's a long wheel base with the back converted into a catering van.

Everything was wired in twin and earth, no cpc sleeving, holes in the C/U typical bodge job so I'm going to wire it again.

I will wire in Arctic/tuff flex and use conduit for the drops and fish behind the riveted steel in the top corners if you can imagine coving.

C/U. Will be a 4 way 80a 30ma RCD which is fed from the commando back to back. Feeding a lighting circuit, a water boiler supply, and a 16A or 20A radial circuit for the sockets.

Now with regards to Earthing. I will earth the LPG gas supply and the frame using 10mm is this correct?

What exposed/extraneous conductive parts need too?

The generator should have a neutral-earth link for the RCD to work?

Theres probably a lot of things I have missed, just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Mobile or transportable instalations have there own special regulations section.

cant recall what number it is but I would have a look at the book before ordering or specifying what you intend to do.

The generator will need a neutral earth link. The gas and structural metal work may not require bonding as they are not connected to earth but it would be advisable to earth them. 10mm is probably overkill I would think 4mm would be enough.

The generator will need a neutral earth link. The gas and structural metal work may not require bonding as they are not connected to earth but it would be advisable to earth them. 10mm is probably overkill I would think 4mm would be enough.
There’s no point earthing them for no reason as they would not be considered exposed conductive parts and earthing them unnecessarily would raise their potential in relation to true earth in the event of a fault, potentially introducing a hazard to someone like a customer stood on the ground and touching the frame of the van.

Mobile or transportable installations have there own special regulations section.
Section 717 (page 298 in the big blue book)

Just looking at it now out of curiosity!

It also mentioned BS 7909 for temporary setups, might be some on-line videos, etc, for that which would be worth a look.

There’s no point earthing them for no reason as they would not be considered exposed conductive parts and earthing them unnecessarily would raise their potential in relation to true earth in the event of a fault, potentially introducing a hazard to someone like a customer stood on the ground and touching the frame of the van.

Thanks for the reply. There seems a lot of confusion on the topic that's why I posted the thread. I will opt to use 4mm then, it's just I have some 10mm at home . I will bond the LPG and the chassis and leave it as that I think.

That seems back-to-front. If the supply is TN-S from a genny with an earth rod, the installation earth will be approximately at the same potential as true earth even in the event of a fault to CPC within the van, as the rod does not carry the fault current. Therefore connecting the van body to the MET will not significantly increase that hazard. However, in the event of the line conductor contacting the bodywork due to cut or chafed wiring or being pierced by a screw etc, quite a plausible scenario, then if the bodywork is not earthed there will be a full 230V between body and true earth. In any case there will probably be many points of casual contact between appliances and the vehicle, possibly including via gas pipes. I would rather have a solid connection made with a cable.

As far as cable choice goes, how about H07RN-F as a tougher alternative to arctic PVC?

Last edited:
That seems back-to-front. If the supply is TN-S from a genny with an earth rod, the installation earth will be approximately at the same potential as true earth even in the event of a fault to CPC within the van, as the rod does not carry the fault current. Therefore connecting the van body to the MET will not significantly increase that hazard. However, in the event of the line conductor contacting the bodywork due to cut or chafed wiring or being pierced by a screw etc, quite a plausible scenario, then if the bodywork is not earthed there will be a full 230V between body and true earth. In any case there will probably be many points of casual contact between appliances and the vehicle, possibly including via gas pipes. I would rather have a solid connection made with a cable.

As far as cable choice goes, how about H07RN-F as a tougher alternative to arctic PVC?
Well no my point was that it’s bonded as per section 717 and not just mearly earthed.
Maybe it wasn’t clearly said by myself

OK, granted bonding and earthing are defined differently and have different purposes, and I was rather sloppy in my use of 'earthed' to mean 'connected to the MET in some way'. However I understood the post to mean it was desirable not to make any connection between the vehicle body and the MET at all, for which I did not agree with the logic.

OK, granted bonding and earthing are defined differently and have different purposes, and I was rather sloppy in my use of 'earthed' to mean 'connected to the MET in some way'. However I understood the post to mean it was desirable not to make any connection between the vehicle body and the MET at all, for which I did not agree with the logic.
Yeah I see that , My bad

Reply to Wiring a van converted into a catering van? Help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net