Discuss Wylex Compatibility in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone know if the reduced height, switched neutral Wylex RCBO's will fit in this enclosure? Planning to rip the all the devices out and start again with all RCBO, but don't want to change the enclosure. I seem to remember the newer Wylex boards have a different shaped flap on the lid?

Maybe one for @westward10

Wylex Compatibility IMG_9403 - EletriciansForums.net

I have Never seen PEP? before. What maker is this

Is that a Wylex RCD at the main switch ?

Depends on the busbar.
The newer wylex miniture RCBOs only fit on the finger busbar as they don't have the slit in the front, also the busbar does have a kink in it where it connects to the L out of the main switch.
Trouble is the older Wylex busbar isn't as easy to get hold of, they do sell a AFDD busbar though.

Hager busbar is much easier to get hold of, you could change all the internals to Hager if changing the CU is going to be awkward.

Depends on the busbar.
The newer wylex miniture RCBOs only fit on the finger busbar as they don't have the slit in the front, also the busbar does have a kink in it where it connects to the L out of the main switch.
Trouble is the older Wylex busbar isn't as easy to get hold of, they do sell a AFDD busbar though.

Hager busbar is much easier to get hold of, you could change all the internals to Hager if changing the CU is going to be awkward.
Not sure if that would be permitted as it’s a wylex enclosure?

It’s very annoying how Wylex keep changing all the parts so they are not backwards compatible every 5 years or so. It’s mainly why I don’t use them!

I suppose I could rip it all out and start again with wylex finger busbar. Probably the best option.

The other problem if I fit Hager is will the front cover even line up over the devices?

It sounds like t he chap is frustrated with the tripping. I would just find the fault and fix it.
I'm assuming this isn't a wylex board otherwise you wouldn't be asking if it was compatible with wylex. In that case, you are swapping out one 'wrong' manufacturer for another wrong manufacturer.
I can understand it if the chap simply wants RCBO's to make future tripping less of a hassle though.

edit.. seen your other posts. I would probably take along all the bits needed in case you have to take everything out, but would try the wylex RCBO first in case it fits. Couldn't you use the older wylex RCBO's?

It sounds like t he chap is frustrated with the tripping. I would just find the fault and fix it.
I'm assuming this isn't a wylex board otherwise you wouldn't be asking if it was compatible with wylex. In that case, you are swapping out one 'wrong' manufacturer for another wrong manufacturer.
I can understand it if the chap simply wants RCBO's to make future tripping less of a hassle though.

edit.. seen your other posts. I would probably take along all the bits needed in case you have to take everything out, but would try the wylex RCBO first in case it fits. Couldn't you use the older wylex RCBO's?
There is no fault. It’s almost certainly an accumulation of earth leakage. I’d rather use the newer ones as they’re easier to work with!

I think I should be able to replace all the internals and pull the existing busbar out too. Then replace with new rcbos and new finger busbar.

I think the enclosure shown will have the busbar type that slots under the screw. Should’ve opened it up really ?‍♂️

There is no fault. It’s almost certainly an accumulation of earth leakage. I’d rather use the newer ones as they’re easier to work with!

I think I should be able to replace all the internals and pull the existing busbar out too. Then replace with new rcbos and new finger busbar.

I think the enclosure shown will have the busbar type that slots under the screw. Should’ve opened it up really ?‍♂️
I've definitely started coming across this more over the past couple of years (i.e accumulated earth leakage tripping a dual RCD or single RCD board).
I was a bit behind everyone with singing the praises of RCBO boars, but I would say 95% of the time I fit RCBO boards now. The only time I fit the dual RCD is if the customer specifically chooses that due to cost.

If it has a "balcony style" (in Wylex parlance) bus bar, i.e. the one that fits under the screws rather than pokes up into the cage, then you might have a problem. Those with balcony bus bars only have half a DIN rail (the top half), when you place the protective devices into place the balcony bus bar is structural, keeping the bottom half of your devices fixed in place. So if you get all new devices and a new finger bus bar, then there's nothing to keep the bottom half of everything in place.

You could of course get the full height Wylex RCBOs, these are Type A, unfortunately they are not switched N, and I see it's a TT system so that may be your consideration.

Some of the more recent Wylex DB's - the "L" range (e.g. NM1106L) have a fixed, finger bus bar on the bottom and half a DIN rail, these are compatible with the newer devices. Unless the DB is one of these, or unless it's aleady got a finger bus bar of some sort, then you're out of luck.

Can't find any info on PEP but I would say the rogue component is the Wylex rcd which doesn't seem to sit correctly and probably replaced the original 60947-3 switch.

Reply to Wylex Compatibility in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock