Discuss Xpelair humidistat, timer bathroom fan installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Going to fit a fan with Humidistat tomorrow and just looked at the installation instructions.
Following the manufactures instruction.. which will be in keeping with the 'Regs'.
If the fuse blows in the DP switch, the lights will be off as well!!
Is that acceptable?
I'm thinking that you could be fixing an extractor fan in the dark?
Best wishes
Tom
FAN.jpg

Last edited:
You must be really in trouble working in the dark now what could you use while fixing the fan????

This topic been done before and yes see your angle but its not really an issue, use an head torch and if fixing it you would have isolated it anyway thus the light is off.

If it concerns you you fit a fan switch adjacent to fan this allows homeowner to isolate fan if faulty and they can replace fuse to get light back on.

Hi Everyone
Going to fit a fan with Humidistat tomorrow and just looked at the installation instructions.
Following the manufactures instruction.. which will be in keeping with the 'Regs'.
If the fuse blows in the DP switch, the lights will be off as well!!
Is that acceptable?
I'm thinking that you could be fixing an extractor fan in the dark?
Best wishes
Tom
View attachment 19174

Yep Darwood is right but look at it this way the double pole switch is the CU main switch the fuse is the CU circuit breaker because thats how the majority of fans are wired except they have a 3 way fan isolation switch fitted just before the L-N-T terminals so when the circuit breaker trips the fan and light goes off then if you need to work on the fan then you switch the fan isolator off . Thats why they have a fan isolator switch because I have seen a SFCU instead of it and the live to the fan is fused down to say 3 amps but you then have a switchwire from the light direct to the fan .
But initially you will still need a head torch lol

Thanks for responding oldtimer.
I'll keep it simple, but understand your point.
Who needs a head torch!!! ..
Eat more Carrots !

Ha Ha I dropped my head torch before christmas but got a 3 set led torch's for ÂŁ6 2 hand 1 head and will not do without them lol I do a lot of repairs in rental properties and in the older ones the fan is wired exactly how your drawing is without the fan isolator switch plus I have seen evidence of guys trying to outhink it by fitting a SP SFCU but this just makes thing worse as you can isolate the live but not the switchwire

Ha Ha I dropped my head torch before christmas but got a 3 set led torch's for ÂŁ6 2 hand 1 head and will not do without them lol I do a lot of repairs in rental properties and in the older ones the fan is wired exactly how your drawing is without the fan isolator switch plus I have seen evidence of guys trying to outhink it by fitting a SP SFCU but this just makes thing worse as you can isolate the live but not the switchwire

I bought this from Maplin the other week...its like having a 'pocket full of sunshine'..
72 LED Inspection Lamp : LED Torches : Maplin Electronics

Have to gaffa tape it to my head though. ;-)
best to you

Must be me getting old, am I the only one seeing this.

The lights in the Room have nothing to do with that fan wiring.
The lamp shown is an indicator showing the fan running.

When the humidty is high enough the fan starts and runs on for the determined time, so it's Humidistat and timed.

Must be me getting old, am I the only one seeing this.

The lights in the Room have nothing to do with that fan wiring.
The lamp shown is an indicator showing the fan running.

When the humidty is high enough the fan starts and runs on for the determined time, so it's Humidistat and timed.

Hi Snowhead,
Luckily l saw your response yesterday morning. Your absolutely right!
After reading your message l called Xpelair who pointed me in the right direction.
I ended up fitting a Vent-Axia 100XHT, twice the cost of the Xpelair.
Have to say though that the instructions indicate a 1Amp fuse, good job my client is going for LED lighting.
What fan,timer and humidistat fans do you fit?
Thanks again for responding to this thread
best wishes
Tom

Reply to Xpelair humidistat, timer bathroom fan installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net