Discuss 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I want to know if its acceptable to run a radial to 2 x outdoor sockets using 1.5mm SWA on a 16a mcb

As the designer of the circuit you need to establish the likely current demand (taking into account diversity). Then select the appropriate protective device, and choose a cable that is rated for that device.

If Zs and volt drop calculations are also within the requirements, and all meets BS7671 then I dont see what good or bad practice has to do with it.

It either complies with BS7671 or it doesnt.

theres the potential to run 26 amps through this double socket, what if he wants to add more at a later date :confused:

i know everything cant be future proof but i personally will keep to 2.5mm radials ;)

stubborn old sod aint i :p

Well what would be the point of putting it on a 20A breaker then?

Might as well just go for a 16mm and 63A MCB just so that he can add on another double socket and 1 single socket and then he can load them all up nearly fully with 65A! :p

now now pevvers, you know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :rolleyes:

these are after all personal opinions, you stick to yours and il stick to mine ;)

Last edited:
Oh I know that, but unfortunately that's the only form I possess... :eek:

But I think that the argument stands, if the original question is about a radial circuit, which with a 2.5mm twin would have overcurrent protection rated at 20A max, then if more wanted to be added then the overcurrent protection would have to be upgraded as well, along with the cable.

Of course, 2.5mm 90 degree armoured clipped direct could take more, but what crazy person would put a 2.5 on a 32A, :)

Oh I know that, but unfortunately that's the only form I possess... :eek:

But I think that the argument stands, if the original question is about a radial circuit, which with a 2.5mm twin would have overcurrent protection rated at 20A max, then if more wanted to be added then the overcurrent protection would have to be upgraded as well, along with the cable.

Of course, 2.5mm 90 degree armoured clipped direct could take more, but what crazy person would put a 2.5 on a 32A, :)
the original question was acceptable or bad practice, i answered acceptable but not good practice, there is a difference ;)

also why would you upgrade overcurrent protection when adding another socket to a 20amp radial in 2.5 :confused:

Last edited:
Ahh, I admit defeat, but only because I've had a very long weekend and haven't got the brain power for all this at the moment, or the energy to read through it all again....

Until next time! :D

Hi,
Personally I would use 2.5 backed by a B-type mcb of 20a

:cool:ICE:cool:

Attachments

• super_smash_bros_mario_01.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 29
I'm with you on this one pevvers..

No one has yet given a valid reason and explained why they wouldnt use 1.5mm SWA on a 16a MCB, or even 20A MCB for that reason.

not edited, im just too quick with the return button so post goes on before ive finished :eek:

never had that problem with my trusty typewriter ;)

i look forward to the other times, its good to talk :)

I'm with you on this one pevvers..

No one has yet given a valid reason and explained why they wouldnt use 1.5mm SWA on a 16a MCB, or even 20A MCB for that reason.
hi sid,
dont need to explain myself, because thats the way I do it. lets leave it there shall we ;)

Last edited:
In all honesty, If I was running a Radial socket outlet in my own House it would be in 4mm and it would not be protected by a 30mA as they are a Pigging nuisance although if it was for anyone else it would be protected.

It would not be protected by a 30mA as they are a Pigging nuisance although if it was for anyone else it would be protected.

Even if it was for external use as was stated in the OP?

Fair do's if you wanna use 4mm though, whatever floats your boat I suppose, seems an extra expense for no apparent reason to me though.

In all honesty, If I was running a Radial socket outlet in my own House it would be in 4mm and it would not be protected by a 30mA as they are a Pigging nuisance although if it was for anyone else it would be protected.

4mm radial in SWA seems way over the top.
2.5mm is well within the regs and calcs limits.
If you wanted to i think1.5mm Seems perfectly acceptable, there would still be no overloading issues.

Reply to 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net