Discuss adding sockets to a final ring main in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

ngoodson1969

Hi all,

Is it easy to add, for example, 2 double sockets per room to an existing ring main (upper or lower) and what is the best way to do it? You can't spur off that many extra sockets, so I guess you break the ring at the appropriate places and add in each socket? Thanks.

Nick

There are various ways but to extend the existing ring you need to be sure the circuit can take the extra load, the extra length etc etc (remember joint boxes should not be allowed under floors, altered circuit should have 30mA rcd protection and main bonding correct size, issue minor works cert etc)

Ash

Ashrow, yes indeed, I would do the calculation and check bonding and make sure everything is fine, but what are the 'various' ways of adding these extra sockets? Thanks.

split and extend the ring
spur off existing socket to another socket
spur off existing socket to a fused spur to then feed a few sockets ( max fuse of 13 amp in spur then protects the additional added sockets)

I would recommend extending the ring if existing ring can handle additional load and meets all required readings

Ash

There are various ways but to extend the existing ring you need to be sure the circuit can take the extra load, the extra length etc etc (remember joint boxes should not be allowed under floors, altered circuit should have 30mA rcd protection and main bonding correct size, issue minor works cert etc)

Ash

What should have been said is that make sure you use the correct type of junction boxes under the floor, they are not banned.
Also, take a view as to what the sockets are to be used for, if you are say adding a couple of extra sockets for your hifi seperates, this is such a small load it isn't going to make any difference.

Reply to adding sockets to a final ring main in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net