Discuss Any advise would be greatly appreciated in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Greggy

Hi all,

just finished my electrical 2330 level 2 and 3, nvq 3, 17th edition, am2 and next and going to do 2391 inspection and testing. I currenly work in the data engineer field and have done for last 10 years along with assisting electricians on commercial projects. because i have a salary job and am happy with it i am looking to set up a small business just doing small electrical job domestically and small commercially in my spare time to get experiance and get use of my quals. in order to start off small as i say would any of you have any advise on starting up a small electrical business? what to do? What kinds of jobs to take on at first? Any other quals i might need? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time

Starting up a small electrical business is no different to starting any other business - advertise, promote, sell. The largest pitfall that you may have is managing to balance the books - between needing your insurance, MFT & Calibration, Part P fees (which you'll almost certainly need if doing domestic), tools, fuel (even if you use your existing car and don't get a van)... etc etc, you may find that your 'spare time' isn't going to make a net profit at the end of the day. You will also need to consider the type of work that you take on very carefully - wiring up a cooker for Mrs Jones you can do on a Saturday morning, but rewiring a house you can't. Likewise, commercial will want you to work when they are, not when you can fit them in.

i would advise doing small jobs. those that don't require notifying to LABC. otherwise you fall into the part p trap. and that will cost an arm and a leg if you go through one of the scam providers. both arms and legs if you deal with LABC yourself.

Hi all,

just finished my electrical 2330 level 2 and 3, nvq 3, 17th edition, am2 and next and going to do 2391 inspection and testing. I currenly work in the data engineer field and have done for last 10 years along with assisting electricians on commercial projects. because i have a salary job and am happy with it i am looking to set up a small business just doing small electrical job domestically and small commercially in my spare time to get experiance and get use of my quals. in order to start off small as i say would any of you have any advise on starting up a small electrical business? what to do? What kinds of jobs to take on at first? Any other quals i might need? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time

Why are you doing your AM2 if you have 10 years experience? You do not need your AM2 if you have this amount of experience in the industry. If I were you I would spend that money on your 2391 which will carry more weight than the AM2.

Reply to Any advise would be greatly appreciated in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net