Discuss Breaker tripping and rewiring question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tntdiy

DIY
Reaction score
Hey guys new DIY user here.

I am doing an evening course on Domestic Electrical Installatons but it is on hold now because of Covid. We got through some theory and just started with the fun part when the SHTF.

Now in lockdown, I have time and a project on my hand but it is not going great so far. I have an 8x32' wooden box at home that was used for aquaponics but I was allowed to clean it out and use it as an office.

Made my first change to the electricals which was adding two new double sockets and they seem to work fine but after one off the breakers - one that has the three light fixtures on it keeps tripping since I did that.
So my questions are:

1. I noticed that this breaker can not be reset even when the main breaker is off. Does this mean that breaker itself is broken? Or is it more likely that one of the lights or switches are shorting?
How do I go about checking the breaker and the lights and switches?

2. If the breaker is gone I cannot replace it and it is unlikely I can find somebody to do it due to the lockdown. Can I temporarily hook up the lights with another circuit? The load should not be a problem I think.

3. What does back-feeding mean? (in the context of circuit and junction boxes ) this is independent of my problem but I saw it mention in a few places and didn't find an answer on google.

This a pic of the electrical (sub) panel for the garage and this office box. Bottom left is the breaker in question. Above that, the double one is for the AC unit that's in the box. Another breaker is running the sockets in the box. My guess is that this panel is from the 90ies maybe.

Thank you for any input!
Breaker tripping and rewiring question ELpanel - EletriciansForums.net

Hi TNT - can I ask are you in T or UK? Have they taught you the safe isolation procedure yet?

If the installation is confirmed to be electrically isolated and an MCB still won’t reset then it’s likely the MCB that’s busted. These old ones do sometimes have an internal mechanical failure that prevents them latching on. This can be confirmed by visual inspection, but only if the installation is safely isolated.

Hi TNT - can I ask are you in T or UK? Have they taught you the safe isolation procedure yet?

If the installation is confirmed to be electrically isolated and an MCB still won’t reset then it’s likely the MCB that’s busted. These old ones do sometimes have an internal mechanical failure that prevents them latching on. This can be confirmed by visual inspection, but only if the installation is safely isolated.

Hi! I am based in Trinidad now. Thanks for the reply!
No, we had no training on safe isolation yet so all I know that I have to stay away from the panel, it's way over my head. I will have to call a real electrician for that, once the lockdown expires or at least we have some kind of normality.

So my next question is - if you don't mind - that can I take power from the socket circuit for my lights? Is that good practice, at least for temporarily?
In this photo below you can see that the layout of the light switch and the sockets below and I am tempted to just join the light into the working circuit...

Breaker tripping and rewiring question EL switch and socket - EletriciansForums.net

Hi - probably not a good idea without fusing down. If you added a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse (instead of 13A) it might be ok.

I didn't know these things exist! Do you recommend them because the sockets might draw more power than the switch and the lamp can handle? In that case, can I just condemn the sockets for security? I don't plan to use them anyway.

I am trying to simplify things as our lockdown is just starting and I am not sure if a run to an electrical shop would be frowned upon by the authorities and the highest authority, the wife.

Reply to Breaker tripping and rewiring question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock