Discuss Can you have more than one socket on a cooker circuit ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been trying to locate anything in the regs that say this can't be done, but can't see anything.

Basically I have a 3kw oven on a 4mm T&E cable going to a 32A MCB (Cable is clipped direct in loft to consumer board, and not covered by anything en-route - property is a bungalow). The isolator already has 1 socket, however a requirement has occurred to have a second socket for a built in Microwave (800W). The first socket is in use on the kitchen worktop, this 2nd socket will be hidden away behind the cooker and microwave.

The circuit can handle the extra load, but is it allowed under the regs to have more than one socket on a cooker circuit. Yes I could just spur off the ring, but the nearest socket is on the other side of the worktop and I'd have to chase out a substantial amount of wall to get it done, whereas this way I would only need to chase about half a metre.

come off the cooker isolator to a 20A D/P switch above worktop. then down to socket. you then have accesible isolation of appliance.

you can add what ever you want to the circuit as long as it’s not overloaded there shouldn’t be an issue.
just bare in mind that if your changing the size of the conductors a sufficient means of isolation would be required.

Wont you need to fuse down to account for the smaller cable? would an FCU be better than a 20Amp switch just asking??
not necessarily as you have a downstream 13A fuse in the plug.

not necessarily as you have a downstream 13A fuse in the plug.
Of course how stupid of me dohhhhh, what about protection of the cable to the socket though? brain in overdrive, but then again the plug fuse should take care of that issue, dunno whats wrong with me today , to much wine maybe that's my excuse.

the cable itself cannot be overloaded due to the 13A plug fuse. the 32A MCB protects it from short circuit. as in a fixed load scenario.

Reply to Can you have more than one socket on a cooker circuit ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net