Discuss Checklist for first solar install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals

Directing this question at you that have transitioned already from sparky to pv insatller. I have my first pv install after getting so many queries since the energy price rise and looking to get one under my belt. I want to go in properly and that it is being installed to a high standard. It is a 2.72kw system on roof (garage) system. 8 panels.
Getting a local roofer to do the construction on the roof/set up/ and get cabling safely into attic space. (Do the hook sit on top of tiles or would the tiles need stripping back and cutting around the hooks?
Reading up i belive g98 applies to this install so i can notify dno up to 28 Days after install?
The inverter will go on the block wall next to the consumer unit which has spare rcd ways and into an ac isolator. Also putting a generation kwh inbetween here.
Going to be installing an iboost in the house at the same time on the immersion tank.

Any other tips would be greatfully received :)

BS

Make sure you use a DC isolator, be very careful for trapped insulation when terminating, they don't like it at all and the slightest bit will make the iso arc.

As above, always check polarity despite labelling/MC4 arrangement since roofers cannot be relied upon.

Apart from that not much i can think of that you haven't already thunk of, they're relatively simple to install.

Check what the inverter needs in the way of RCD protection in the manual, also cabling to it. Some are OK with no RCD (assuming cable run is not in need of additional protection) or even type AC (e.g. ABB inverter, of which I have dealt with before, which was spected to be OK with up to 300mA AC delay) other might demand a type A (all should be now anyway...) or event type B, which will cost a lot.

In fact, if you can avoid the need for 30mA RCD then less risk of it tripping and them not noticing until they see very little cost savings on the electricity bill.

Also it should not be on the load side of an RCD supplying any other circuits if they have dual RCD board, etc.

Check what the inverter needs in the way of RCD protection in the manual, also cabling to it. Some are OK with no RCD (assuming cable run is not in need of additional protection) or even type AC (e.g. ABB inverter, of which I have dealt with before, which was spected to be OK with up to 300mA AC delay) other might demand a type A (all should be now anyway...) or event type B, which will cost a lot.

In fact, if you can avoid the need for 30mA RCD then less risk of it tripping and them not noticing until they see very little cost savings on the electricity bill.

Also it should not be on the load side of an RCD supplying any other circuits if they have dual RCD board, etc.
Yes good point regarding rcd, the inverter will be next to the garage consumer unit so i cant see why id need rcd unless MI states it.
Why should it not be on the load side of an rcd in a dual rcd cu?

Yes good point regarding rcd, the inverter will be next to the garage consumer unit so i cant see why id need rcd unless MI states it.
Why should it not be on the load side of an rcd in a dual rcd cu?
If the rcd trips the pv system can feed back into the other circuits whereby it won't immediately stop producing when the rcd trips.

Reply to Checklist for first solar install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net