Discuss Chimney height regulations/removal in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

if it's not required then as far as i know, there's no reg. says you can't demolish or reduce the height. seen loads that have become unsafe removed.

Currently only used for a gas fire - presumably the height of it can be reduced very low?

It is a large chimney on a bungalow.

all you need to worry about is that the chimney has enough height to flue the exhaust gas out.

Building Regs Approved Document J Diagram 34 should lead you to the answer, although you might have to refer to manufacturers instructions or a BS depending on the type of flue outlet.

Currently only used for a gas fire - presumably the height of it can be reduced very low?

It is a large chimney on a bungalow.
personally, if it's used as a gas flu we don't touch it, as there could be severe liability issues if you'd somehow ended up blocking the flu while doing the work, which would be fairly easy to do by mistake in unlined chimneys.

I don't know the exact regs on it, but our gas safe engineer had much sucking of teeth and looked very concerned when we discussed it, and thought we'd probably need to issue a gas safety cert to be on the safe side, so it's simpler just to say no IMO.

Any other chimney though, and we'll cap it at ridge height no problem - getting it below the roofline entirely is a bit more of an undertaking if it's through the ridge. AFAIK it's not a notifiable work as long as there's no structural element to it and it's not used, but I could be wrong (hopefully not).

I'm gassafe registered so could lower the flue and check the safe operation of the gas fire and flue after the work was done. You could get a gassafe guy to take a look might cost about £45 for that and probably £65 to service the fire(and check the flue) after the work has been done.

To be fair, it was just advice that I wanted to pass on to customers. I wasn't going to be removing the chimney myself.

If you take the chimney down below roof level you will have to notify building control as you will be altering the roof structure, and be aware if your in a conservation area you can`t do anything to the chimney at all, a local person in my area of wales removed his chimney because it was unstable and they made him re-instate it with the same stone.

I'm often asked by customers if they are allowed to have their chimney removed. Can anyone point me at the regulations regarding this?

I removed mine so my 16 panels fitted perfectly, you can have a balanced flue fire if the chimney becomes in the way

Reply to Chimney height regulations/removal in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock