Discuss cost effective options to heat a small temporary space. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are heating a temporary space then the High running costs have much less of an impact over short term usage and low installation costs.

Given that it could well be ripped out again in 12 months I Personally would install Basic panel heaters and either a hot water cylinder with immersion or Electric shower and instantaneous water heaters for sinks.

My experience of others self building has been that everything over runs cost wise so perhaps it would be prudent to trim costs for a temporary installation as much as possible and keep a bit more in the contingency fund for the inevitable extra costs.

The problem I found with Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery Systems is that they don't just take stale air out of the building, but also the air that you have spent a lot of money heating, they need careful designing with the whole house ventilation system including humidity controlled vents above windows and the discipline of always closing the doors, which is much harder with children in the building or my wife. LOL
Doors, the
If you are heating a temporary space then the High running costs have much less of an impact over short term usage and low installation costs.

Given that it could well be ripped out again in 12 months I Personally would install Basic panel heaters and either a hot water cylinder with immersion or Electric shower and instantaneous water heaters for sinks.

My experience of others self building has been that everything over runs cost wise so perhaps it would be prudent to trim costs for a temporary installation as much as possible and keep a bit more in the contingency fund for the inevitable extra costs.
Thank you, yes the temporary nature changes the game. I'll price this and ufh with used gear and see where it's at. This project is to improve living costs ( get rid of rent) and I don't want to go wrong if there's a good solution, thank you!

Doors, the

Thank you, yes the temporary nature changes the game. I'll price this and ufh with used gear and see where it's at. This project is to improve living costs ( get rid of rent) and I don't want to go wrong if there's a good solution, thank you!

Thanks all!
Hi all, do any of you have experience with the underfloor electric heat? The type you lay under tiles?

Yes, expensive to run, does not respond quickly enough so needs to stay on for long periods, most definitely needs good insulation under the floor, but works well if you don't mind the expense of running it for long periods to keep the area warm, obviously the better the insulation the less expense.

Yes, expensive to run, does not respond quickly enough so needs to stay on for long periods, most definitely needs good insulation under the floor, but works well if you don't mind the expense of running it for long periods to keep the area warm, obviously the better the insulation the less expense.
To sound stupid, if heat rises why the need for insulation under?

To sound stupid, if heat rises why the need for insulation under?
zonal heat control with panel heaters will work best for me. I have had massive success with a WiFi smart plug, it enables exact control over a 1 5kw oil heater. Are the any good systems for smart control of panel heaters? Say 2 to 3 kw each. A central control panel Ideally on a phone?
Because the elements will be heating the floor underneath it, better to have the heat radiated upwards.
Because the elements will be heating the floor underneath it, better to have the heat radiated upwards.
makes sense, dumbo here,

i have used this product very successfully for a few years with a 1.5kw oil heater it works really well. The control is amazing.

Its only a 13amp rating and under 2.99kw, can I find panel heaters that can run on this?

Or are there whole area systems that work better?

zonal heat control with panel heaters will work best for me. I have had massive success with a WiFi smart plug, it enables exact control over a 1 5kw oil heater. Are the any good systems for smart control of panel heaters? Say 2 to 3 kw each. A central control panel Ideally on a phone?

makes sense, dumbo here,

i have used this product very successfully for a few years with a 1.5kw oil heater it works really well. The control is amazing.

Its only a 13amp rating and under 2.99kw, can I find panel heaters that can run on this?

Or are there whole area systems that work better?
Thanks all for helping me with this week with great advice and suggestions, what i will do is proceed through planning and depending and smooth that is.

I will

(a) if the budget is super tight, electric panels and electric shower - thanks
ferg

(b) if the budget is better, a quality used heat pump, and large immersion heaters.I am really sick of the cold in the rented house, i want our new even if temporary home to be spot on temperature-wise, thanks all and especially Mike who mentioned the pump is not immovable.

Thanks again and keep safe all.

What are your plans with the garage/temporary living space when you vacate it to live in the main house?

What are your plans with the garage/temporary living space when you vacate it to live in the main house?
I really need a heated workshop and possibly an office away from the kids, I could buy some fancy cars to park in there once done although they can stay outside :), i can share some pics when it's finished, it'll be very nice temporary accommodation as we don't know how long we'll be in there, maybe 1-2 years hence the need to get the heating right. I have to concede some of the pics on Pinterest of interiors etc are unreal have to think about different ideas and once I have approval from herself, I aim to fit it out nicely. we can then repurpose after to what suits at the time. I think the heating will be needed whatever happens. thanks again all.

I really need a heated workshop and possibly an office away from the kids, I could buy some fancy cars to park in there once done although they can stay outside :), i can share some pics when it's finished, it'll be very nice temporary accommodation as we don't know how long we'll be in there, maybe 1-2 years hence the need to get the heating right. I have to concede some of the pics on Pinterest of interiors etc are unreal have to think about different ideas and once I have approval from herself, I aim to fit it out nicely. we can then repurpose after to what suits at the time. I think the heating will be needed whatever happens. thanks again all.
How much per month is somewhere really nice to rent in your area?

1-2 years is not a long time and the amount of money you would waste doing it, to rip it out and re-purpose it could possibly be better spent renting and doing everything the way you want it 1st time, with a bigger & better temporary accommodation to boot.

1-2 years is not a long time and the amount of money you would waste doing it, to rip it out and re-purpose it could possibly be better spent renting and doing everything the way you want it 1st time, with a bigger & better temporary accommodation to boot.
Thanks for that
Basically I've Been renting for 8 years plus, since the gfc Irelands property market has risen steeply in parts and especially where I rent and with it highly regulated restrictions on who can getIt's likely most changes needed iI come from a building family

[Thanks have thought about doing thatbut it's ok as I will make most if the
[automerge]1585899523[/automerge]
Been renting for a while . Any changes needed won't be too significant, I look forward to getting stuck in in my spare time. Have some old skills and some new ones, it'll be grand. Thanks you and everyone for the advice.
[automerge]1585899795[/automerge]
Didn't mean to put the above post about gfc, please disregard :)
[automerge]1585900337[/automerge]

Thanks for that
Basically I've Been renting for 8 years plus, since the gfc Irelands property market has risen steeply in parts and especially where I rent and with it highly regulated restrictions on who can getIt's likely most changes needed iI come from a building family

[automerge]1585899523[/automerge]

[automerge]1585899795[/automerge]
Have a good one, why would a kettle work on one set of double sockets in a kitchen but not the other but the other will allow a hoover to be turned on ?

Last edited:
Hi all

further to the same requirements above, I came across this idea instead of a heat pump, to me, it seems it should work well and would be a lot more cost-effective for me, an electric immersion heater connected to a circulating mixing valve and fed to underfloor using a standard ufh manifold? making sure correct temperatures were in the line.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Like can it work reliably in The UK and Ireland?

Has anyone see anything like this in domestic or industrial?

I know this is a mix of plumbing and electrics?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZuksRZ70g&t=127s

The above will not give you the efficiency of an air source heat pump, you would be better off with a purpose made domestic Electric CH boiler.

The above will not give you the efficiency of an air source heat pump, you would be better off with a purpose made domestic Electric CH boiler.
Thank you, on first glance, thats a great idea the
domestic ch boiler, its cheaper than a heat pump but If this system can work even with being less efficient it can be cost-effective for me.
The new building this is going in will be close to airtight and have lots of insulation.

Thanks again
[automerge]1590505208[/automerge]
Thank you, on first glance, thats a great idea the
domestic ch boiler, its cheaper than a heat pump but If this system can work even with being less efficient it can be cost-effective for me.
The new building this is going in will be close to airtight and have lots of insulation.

Thanks again

is this something like your talking about?

Last edited:
Yes something like that, but make sure you size it properly they come in much smaller kW's as well, if your place is well insulated it may be more efficient to use a smaller size, but don't forget to ventilate as well, to help prevent damp and condensation.

Last edited:
Yes something like that, but make sure you size it properly they come in much smaller kW's as well, if your place is well insulated it may be more efficient to use a smaller size, but don't forget to ventilate as well, to help prevent damp and condensation.
Thanks very much, mike for this info, one last one, do you know if these electric boilers are very noisy? Can you put them in a living space?

They make about the same amount of noise as an immersion heater, not very intrusive, but it depends on the ambient noise of the room, if you have the TV on you will not notice it, but if you are sitting quietly reading you may, the pump makes more noise than the boiler, so that needs careful consideration on mounting and position.

They make about the same amount of noise as an immersion heater, not very intrusive, but it depends on the ambient noise of the room, if you have the TV on you will not notice it, but if you are sitting quietly reading you may, the pump makes more noise than the boiler, so that needs careful consideration on mounting and position.
Thanks,is that is the manifold pump you are talking about or the whole boiler?

Boiler pump, these systems are not generally used for UFH, but for radiator systems, I can's see why they can't be used that way, the mixing of the boiler water to cold water to maintain the correct temperature in the pipes (approx 45deg) would need careful adjustment as it would with a conventional system, you will need a large diameter by-pass to prevent local overheating, are you going to use the boiler to indirect heat your water.

Reply to cost effective options to heat a small temporary space. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net