Discuss digital multi meter recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Judd

-
Reaction score
hello, im looking at purchasing a digital multi meter for domestic testing purposes, I want the tester to be reliable, robust and easy to use, i have a fairly tight budget (£300-£500) and this will be the first mft I have purchased, i am willing to buy second hand. Im hoping in maybe a year or two splashing out abit more but for the time being i just need something! Can any recommend anything? and also ones to stay away from!
ive seen the fluke 1662 for £575 a little over what I would like to pay but it looks like it performs all the tests i need and comes with a few freebies and a years calibration.
thanks
judd

hello, im looking at purchasing a digital multi meter for domestic testing purposes, I want the tester to be reliable, robust and easy to use, i have a fairly tight budget (£300-£500) and this will be the first mft I have purchased, i am willing to buy second hand. Im hoping in maybe a year or two splashing out abit more but for the time being i just need something! Can any recommend anything? and also ones to stay away from!
ive seen the fluke 1662 for £575 a little over what I would like to pay but it looks like it performs all the tests i need and comes with a few freebies and a years calibration.
thanks
judd
Judd if you intend testing electrical installations, it's a Multi Function Tester, or MFT as they are known by Electricians, not a Multi Meter 2 different Animals Mate.

Judd if you intend testing electrical installations, it's a Multi Function Tester, or MFT as they are known by Electricians, not a Multi Meter 2 different Animals Mate.
cheers, How many times have you called a ring final a ring main? i did acutally refer to it as a MFT later in the post. Im not here for pedantic trivia tbh so maybe stick to the forum guidelines and pipe down.

cheers, How many times have you called a ring final a ring main? i did acutally refer to it as a MFT later in the post. Im not here for pedantic trivia tbh so maybe stick to the forum guidelines and pipe down.
Not very often Judd, and I'm quite a pedant when it comes to calling an RFC a Ring Main as may members will contest to, can't imagine why you feel my post was pedantic, if you can't get the correct names for equipent you intend using, I was trying to help, seems you took Umbridge at what I offered as advice.
May be a change in the title in your post is in order,

Last edited:
Thanks Tel, I'll check them out.
[automerge]1592395347[/automerge]
Not very often Judd, and I'm quite a pedant when it comes to calling an RFC a Ring Main as may members will contest to, can't imagine why you feel my post was pedantic, if you can't get the correct names for equipent you intend using, I was trying to help, seems you took Umbridge at what I offered as advice.
May be a change in the title in your post is in order,

Ok, sorry i flew off the handle.

Thanks Tel, I'll check them out.
[automerge]1592395347[/automerge]

Ok, sorry i flew off the handle.
you tink tay's bad.. just wait till they start tearing the arses off us poorsr scousers.

you tink tay's bad.. just wait till they start tearing the arses off us poorsr scousers.
Well you tear the wheel off our cars..... turnabout is fair play ?. You're not the only one to get picked up on multimeter v MFT so I wouldn't worry about it, 2 very different beasts as has been said, although I'd love an MFT on the smaller size of a multimeter ?

Reply to digital multi meter recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net