Discuss Dimmer switch stuck off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nikk

Hello

This might be ridiculous but I'm clueless so please forgive me!

My dimmer light switch no longer clicks on and off (dimmer doesn't work either). I clicked it off and it didn't click back, it's stuck clicked off I guess? When I press the dimmer switch in nothing happens. Honestly I don't mind if it's broken but I've heard horror stories about this being dangerous or causing fires.

Can someone let me know if this is at all a cause for concern or is it just a broken switch? Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
A dimmer switch where the switch no longer works is fairly common, it just means that the switch is either caked up with dirt so the spring mechanism inside is blocked or little bits of plastic have melted of broken off inside and the contacts no longer make when pressed.
The cheapest and easiest thing to do is replace the dimmer switch.

It may be possible for there to be a fire risk but as the switch is off and presumably not hissing or crackling I think this is a very unlikely event.
The dimmer staying on may be more of a problem, but this is not the case here.

Reply to Dimmer switch stuck off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have the typical LED on Dimmer switch. All the lights flicker in my house are very inconsistent times. By let me clarify by saying all the...
Replies
Views
Thank you in advance for your help. I recently purchased a home and while removing some built-ins I found that they had a 14/2 wire running...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I tried installing a dimmer to a 3-way circuit. The dimmer has a hard...
Replies
Views
Evening all.... My son is 14, he seems to be taking ultra long baths and showers and the bath/shower room is drenched afterwards. I have just...
Replies
Views
Hi, So I'm trying to understand what's going on with my off-peak electricity supply, as something's wrong with it and I'm trying to determine if...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock