Discuss distribution power supply advice aprreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am hoping someone will have the knowledge, I have a pole in my garden to which I would like to take a 60amp supply to a new build plot. The supply is an 11kv supply 0.05 cu cable, over a distance of 120meters and currently supplies 3 properties,does it have the capacity to take a 60amp supply from it? thanks in advance

It depends on the stepdown transformers capacity suppling the other properties your best way to go would be to get Western Power Distribution to come out it is free for them to quote and they will be able to tell you if the transformer has enough power to supply you with a 15Kva supply.

I have, but I'm getting contradictory excuses, they are saying the size of the cable is too small, but in the past it supplied another house which was demolished which had 100 amps, im only asking for 60amps. your time is appreciated!

they are saying the size of the cable is too small, but in the past it supplied another house which was demolished which had 100 amps, im only asking for 60amps. your time is appreciated!

The other house wouldn't have been using 100amp.
There may have been issues in the area with voltage previously.

What was spare capacity may now have been allocated to other properties or businesses in the area.
Or bearing in mind electricity useage in the future will be higher than now, for example when gas runs out (for Domestic use) and everyone switches to heat pumps, the DNO may be wanting to keep spare capacity for other local users.

Unfortunately it's their network and they will be able to justify what they are saying.

thanks for all the contributions. I asked the question as I didn't believe what western power was telling me, it turns out my quote has fallen from £42,000 down to £2800 after i questioned there supply route and threatened to take it further! For anyone out there in my position, if in doubt get advice as they do make mistakes!

Maybe they've got a special offer on this month :)

Reply to distribution power supply advice aprreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock