Discuss Don't laugh but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Ed Turner

Is there anything out there that will allow one light (or more) to be controlled from two switching circuits?

In theory it is possible but before I start raiding the RS book for components and making something myself, I thought I'd find out if a ready made unit is available.

Client is having a conservatory + kitchen extension. There's going to be a bit of flat ceiling space in the extension that will have a few down lights around the edge of a big atrium window. Only problem is that half a dozen of these sit in the same pattern as the kitchen lights. I'd like to give them the option of having a bank of kitchen lights on, or the conservatory lights on, or both.

What say you (without laughing at me too much)?

Not quite. 20 lights round the edge of atrium window. 9 lights in kitchen area, but the kitchen area extends under the atrium window lighting, so I want to bring some of them on with the kitchen lights.

Not quite. 20 lights round the edge of atrium window. 9 lights in kitchen area, but the kitchen area extends under the atrium window lighting, so I want to bring some of them on with the kitchen lights.
Yeah so it's down to the way you wire them mate, you could have all of them on individual switches if you wanted, or all of them on 2Ws, all of them on 2W+intermediates, a bank of them on when the rest are off etc etc. There's any amount of permutations you could have.
I'm surprised that the question is being asked if I'm honest.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10
11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29

This hasn't turned out too well. 10 and 12 are above 20, you get the idea.

Lights 1 - 20 around the atrium window. All want to come on on one switch. Kitchen area is under lights 11, 13 - 17 and 21 - 29. I'd like to be able to turn these on as one bank as well. Problem is 11 and 13 - 17 are on a different bank.

So wire them so they're on the same bank! That way you get the ones switched where and how you want them switched, come on mate it's not that hard.

One way, if two way switching is not used, would be to use double pole switches. Put the 'kitchen' lights on one pole and the 'shared' lights on the other. Similarly for 'extension' on one pole and 'shared' lights on the other. Wire the two 'shared' lights switches in parallel.

Alternatively, if switching from more than one location, install two relays in a box and supply the coils from the two lighting switched lines. Then connect the two set of contacts in parallel as above, supplying the 'shared' lights.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10
11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29

This hasn't turned out too well. 10 and 12 are above 20, you get the idea.

Lights 1 - 20 around the atrium window. All want to come on on one switch. Kitchen area is under lights 11, 13 - 17 and 21 - 29. I'd like to be able to turn these on as one bank as well. Problem is 11 and 13 - 17 are on a different bank.
Wow,that is the hardest Sudoku i have ever done...on with me Pi digits now...

Reply to Don't laugh but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net