Discuss Earth fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just want to say this to everyone - I've only just joined this forum and I am absolutely amazed at the helpful replies you have all posted. It is indeed very refreshing and reassuring to find such caring people.
Thank you all!!

Thanks for that, you're really helpful. I was thinking along the same lines ie. RCBO. It's a 10 way, ranging from 6, 16 and 32 amp. If I put RCBOs on, could I replace the RCCD with a 63 amp DP isolator. Where can I get them in the South for 9 euros? Will they fit on the Hager Din rail?

Yes Luem, that is exactly what you would do when removing the RCCD. As far as i am aware , all MCBS/RCBOs are Din Rail fitted. I'm not aware either, that, Din Rails sizes in CU/DB's are any different from one manufacturer to another!! You can purchase the RCBOs at around this price in most of the so-called wholesalers....

Yes Luem, that is exactly what you would do when removing the RCCD. As far as i am aware , all MCBS/RCBOs are Din Rail fitted. I'm not aware either, that, Din Rails sizes in CU/DB's are any different from one manufacturer to another!! You can purchase the RCBOs at around this price in most of the so-called wholesalers....

Can you give me the address or phone nos of wholesalers in the south?

Also I got my figure wrong earlier. I said 300mA, but shouldn't it be 30mA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep submersible Well pumps are notorious for supply cord problems. When these pumps kick in, the cords can, and quite often are dragged against the well bore sides, eventually wearing the sheath and insulation down to the conductor cores. Every so often get a neighbour to give you a hand to pull the pump up from the well in order for you to inspect the motor supply cord for any damage. If caught in time, amalgamating electrical tape can effect a lasting repair, if damage has not penetrated the conductors insulation....

Hey luem is it just one rcd protecting all 10 mcbs? The 63A rating on the rcd is the max current it can safely take. I have come across boards where you add up the mcbs and you get something like a theoretical max of 160+Amps all being protected by one 63A rcd. Now in reality you don't get that max current but it can be enough current to cook the rcd so that it becomes a bit random. Swapping a new one in fixed it. Mind when i have done it i tested the rcd and knew it was that before changing it. However, for about £20 you can get a replacement and swap it over and you might just be lucky and have sorted it - if it doesn't you have a spare. If you do try this be very careful about safe isolation first.

BTW i do vaguely know Karsiyaka, been through it a couple of times when coming down from the end of the mountain top road where the ruined tank is or from Kozan? - looked nice.

Deep submersible Well pumps are notorious for supply cord problems. When these pumps kick in, the cords can, and quite often are dragged against the well bore sides, eventually wearing the sheath and insulation down to the conductor cores. Every so often get a neighbour to give you a hand to pull the pump up from the well in order for you to inspect the motor supply cord for any damage. If caught in time, amalgamating electrical tape can effect a lasting repair, if damage has not penetrated the conductors insulation....

Thanks for that, good advice

Thanks for that Pushrod. I had heard that the RCD can get flaky. How could I test it to find out.

You're right about Karsiyaka; we're on the seaside of the main road.

Can you give me the address or phone nos of wholesalers in the south?

Also I got my figure wrong earlier. I said 300mA, but shouldn't it be 30mA?

I don't normally call these wholesalers i just go in person, ....most make out the can't speak English on the phone , but strangely can when you turn up there ..... and can see your money!!! lol!!!

Depends, i had a 500mA front end RCCD originally, Now all changed to RCBOs. Seen a few 300mA over here too, but never a front end 30mA .... I would say 99% of all houses and villas here, have a 500mA front ender. Check when you back in May as to the exact value of your device. As i say, no matter what, you are going to be far better off converting your 10 way CU, ...Front enders are, ...and always have been a real pain in the rear!!! ..lol!!!

I don't normally call these wholesalers i just go in person, ....most make out the can't speak English on the phone , but strangely can when you turn up there ..... and can see your money!!! lol!!!

Depends, i had a 500mA front end RCCD originally, Now all changed to RCBOs. Seen a few 300mA over here too, but never a front end 30mA .... I would say 99% of all houses and villas here, have a 500mA front ender. Check when you back in May as to the exact value of your device. As i say, no matter what, you are going to be far better off converting your 10 way CU, ...Front enders are, ...and always have been a real pain in the rear!!! ..lol!!!

What's a front ender? and shouldn't they be 30mA? What do you mean by value of device? Remeber I'm not a spark, just a thick lawyer!!!
Just realized what you mean - yes I think the RCCD is rated at 300 milliamp, it's a Hager

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Pushrod. I had heard that the RCD can get flaky. How could I test it to find out.

You're right about Karsiyaka; we're on the seaside of the main road.

really need an rcd tester that is going to set you back a lot of cash - my multi tester cost me about £650 - they're not cheap! BTW should have said earlier if you do want to just try the swap a 30mA, 80A rcd will be more robust than the 63A version and will probs cost an extra £10.

really need an rcd tester that is going to set you back a lot of cash - my multi tester cost me about £650 - they're not cheap! BTW should have said earlier if you do want to just try the swap a 30mA, 80A rcd will be more robust than the 63A version and will probs cost an extra £10.

Thanks I'll try that. I am right aren't I - it should be 30mA and not 300 milliamps?

What's a front ender? and shouldn't they be 30mA? What do you mean by value of device? Remeber I'm not a spark, just a thick lawyer!!!
Just realized what you mean - yes I think the RCCD is rated at 300 milliamp, it's a Hager

The place we stay at is a new build (about 6 years old) and it has an ordinary 30mA Hager rcd in, with most of the mcbs protected by the single rcd - wouldn't be surprised if yours is the same, especially if it is under the same plastic cover as the mcbs . If you have anyone out there who can check for you it would certainly be useful.

I hope your not so thick a lawyer, to have purchased a property on disputed land?? hahaha!!!

I would make the effort to employ a good electrician, to undertake any testing of your installation, and for him to convert your CU/DB. How long have you had your house?? Is it still under any form of warranty, ....or is that a rather silly question?? Get that electrician to give you a report on your properties electrical installation, if it's very bad, you maybe able to get the developer to pay for the RCBOs (he said ...tongue in cheek!!! lol!!) Also check if RCBOs are not as cheap in your neck of the woods as they are in mine, they may even be cheaper over there ....lol!!!

The place we stay at is a new build (about 6 years old) and it has an ordinary 30mA Hager rcd in, with most of the mcbs protected by the single rcd - wouldn't be surprised if yours is the same, especially if it is under the same plastic cover as the mcbs . If you have anyone out there who can check for you it would certainly be useful.

Sounds exactly the same! 6 years old 10 way non split Hager CU, hager MCBs and RCD

I hope your not so thick a lawyer, to have purchased a property on disputed land?? hahaha!!!

I would make the effort to employ a good electrician, to undertake any testing of your installation, and for him to convert your CU/DB. How long have you had your house?? Is it still under any form of warranty, ....or is that a rather silly question?? Get that electrician to give you a report on your properties electrical installation, if it's very bad, you maybe able to get the developer to pay for the RCBOs (he said ...tongue in cheek!!! lol!!) Also check if RCBOs are not as cheap in your neck of the woods as they are in mine, they may even be cheaper over there ....lol!!!

Disputed Land?! Round Larnaca and Limassol maybe, but not here!!! RCBOs in UK lot more expensive, and even more in TRNC

TBH engineer i've seen quite a few new builds on the turkish side and the standards are fine - most with 16th rather than 17th edition boards, mind that is hardly surprising - it is the old property that is scary.

TBH engineer i've seen quite a few new builds on the turkish side and the standards are fine - most with 16th rather than 17th edition boards, mind that is hardly surprising - it is the old property that is scary.

I know what you mean, but the Cyp's will always make things look nice on the surface, it's only when you start digging around deeper, that the anomalies start appearing!!!....lol!!!

The old properties are much easier to see what's lurking, ....electrically speaking, nowhere to hide the cock-ups!!! I'd be more worried about the place falling down on my head ...lol!!!

testing the leakage on your earth system, what instrument would you use again as i forget, im thinking clampmeter but i reckon the range on this isnt low enough??? just a quickie
A special type of clamp meter i=p/u, it has very sensitive mA current ranges, typically at 0.01mA resolution and usually has additional filtering to reduce the effect of harmonics/noise from the measured value, as well as a maximum value hold switch.

Reply to Earth fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net