Discuss Expenses form. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wrighta

I am working through an Agency at the minute who are then paying my wages through a company called sterling.

Don't really understand it, but i'm being paid so never mind!

I've been put on to an expenses form through some one i've been working with, so what exactly can I claim back?

I know I can claim mileage to and from work, as well as money to eat, but the lads on the site seem to think you can claim anything, for example washing PPE, tools, new tyres, basically anything work related.

Anybody got any knowledge of this and if they have could they let me know please?
:)

Thanks

Dean

Try to get a list from the wages company. The one I worked for let you claim for lunch (and breakfast if you started work before 6.30am) PPE, tools, mileage (40p a mile in a car), phone calls, training, professional subscriptions etc if you provided them with the receipts. They let you claim up to a certain amount (about £2 a week) in laundry, more if you supplied the name and address of the laundrette.
You might find they just take it off the taxable amount so you just pay less tax - it probably doesn't work like MPs expenses.

There's no need to waste money on an accountant, just keep all your tax stuff together in a folder for when you do your self assessment at the end of the year.

the EXPENSES arent like the company give you 40p per mile its they tax it in such a way that any expenses you dont pay the tax on so for example

you invoice for £1000 with 20miles per day a couple of breakfast or dinners(early starts late finishes) the new boots hard hat and Hi Viz you had to buy
20x40x5= £40.00
3x£5.00=£15
£75 boots ect

£1000-£130=£870
tax@20%on £870=£174
meaning you would have wages of £130+£696 =£826 minus sterings rate of around£20ish
I think this is correct or you could go CIS and claim tax back at the end of the year
as I understand it you can only claim "Laundry" if the laundry done has employers logo on it

Last edited by a moderator:
You have mentioned laundry. Usually you can only claim about Stg £2.50 per week for laundry. Try to make up most of it with mileage/accomodation. You can put quite a bit for food each day (can't remember exact amount but quick search on the internet will tell you).

It is illegal to pay below the minimum wage so the amount up to the minimum wage cannot be expenses and will be taxed. After that the trick is to make all of the rest expenses.

The company paying you is what is known as an "Umbrella Company".

Thanks for the replies, sort of getting clued up a bit about it now after speaking to people on here and on site.

Cheers again.

Reply to Expenses form. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net