Discuss Extract Fan 1 Amp fuse - but UK only in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, Been asked to fit a bathroom extract fan that a customer has already purchased. When checking the manufacturers instructions they are stipulating a double/ triple isolating switch - nothing unusual there - but they are then stipulating a 1 Amp fuse and then in brackets 'UK Only'.

This raises two questions - if the fan needed protecting by a 1 amp fuse then it should apply in whatever country its installed. Secondly, has anyone fitted a 1amp fuse in a FCU in this situation.

Your thoughts / comment appreciated

Well, a 1A rated BS1362 fuse is available, but I’ve never used it. Might well say something about the tiny conductor sizes used in the fan and that some damages claims have been made (?).

just buy a pack of 1A fuses, pop one in and forget it.
install is good, MI have been adhered to, all is good.

we all know that the 6A breaker is going to trip before the 1A fuse but that is not important!!

It is there for fire protection should the fan seize. 1A is an unusual size as the two generally recognised are 3A and 13A.

Well, a 1A rated BS1362 fuse is available, but I’ve never used it. Might well say something about the tiny conductor sizes used in the fan and that some damages claims have been made (?).

I thought BS1363 only specified 3A and 13A fuses and all the other sizes were non-standard.

I thought BS1363 only specified 3A and 13A fuses and all the other sizes were non-standard.

Hi - that may be, I’ve not got the standard to check. Just for interest this is the text from Wiki tonight.

BS 1362. Post-War Building Studies No. 11, Electrical Installations included the recommendation that Provision should be made in the plug for the accommodation of a cartridge type of fuse for 13 amps., and alternatively, for 3 amps. Fuses of these ratings should be interchangeable and be readily identified.[52] The original BS 1363:1947 specified fuse ratings of 3 A, 7 A and 13 A.[53] The current version of the fuse standard, BS 1362:1973, allows any fuse rating up to 13 A, with 3 A (coloured red) and 13 A (coloured brown) as the preferred (but not mandated) values when used in a plug. All other ratings are to be coloured black.

Reply to Extract Fan 1 Amp fuse - but UK only in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net