Discuss fluke t-50 battery gone or dead? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all, came on here about an hour ago to post, got distracted by the longest post ever about TT then turned the computer off and rememebered what it was I came on here for in the first place....anyway!

Got a set of fluke t-50 voltage/continuity testers that have served me well and have had for years (6?). The sound has gone on them and the lights are a lot dimmer, obv I thought batteries dead so chucked some other aaa's in there only to find still same problem.

So 2 questions, has anyone else had the same thing? And if I need to replace them is there something loads better or should I get another set of these trusty things.

Thanks all

Maybe thinking of the wrong model tester, but i read something a while back about a similar problem on 1 of the Flukes & the Guy reckoned that the lead had gone very high resistance where it entered the body of the tester & cutting 50mm off the lead and re-soldering the new end to the board cured the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Im with Lenny if it does need replacing. I have had the T5 for just over a year but the one before that for years. never had a problem with it cracking meter.

iv'e got the T3, still going strong after 15 years.

Not familiar with that particular model so cant really comment on the issue., possibly a lead issue.....

However, if they do need replacing the Fluke T5-1000 is an excellent piece of kit.

Fluke T5-1000 Electrical Tester. Buy online or call

And then get a set of push-on croc clips (which you can swap with the standard removable probes) from TLC for about £5, (TLC Item No: TM L306) much better than the pricey Fluke ones. I also use them with my 1553, as they don't have a gap between the jaws and grip cables much, much better.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi robd, Before condemning your Fluke T50's try cleaning the battery contacts with Isopropyl alcohol and/or a glassfibre brush depending on the condition. Also, Fluke sent out an application sheet (will post as a PDF, if I can find it?) a while ago that recommended the use of Duracell or Energiser alkaline cells in their products, as they had found the high internal resistance construction of other manufactures cells the cause of poor performance, especially at winter temperatures.

Thanks for all your comments, will try a better make of battery, think something may have gone inside though, tried them on 240v this morning and they light up but done beep anymore.

Reply to fluke t-50 battery gone or dead? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net