• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Galvanised Conduit in house conduit factors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrishands

Regular EF Member
Hello.

i've got a brick wall in my conservatory and ive painted it a color but left the bricks on show, currently the electrics for s/o and lighting are in shoddy plastic off cuts of mini trunking and exposed bits of old twin and earth.

I was thinking of using Galvanised conduit and put it on show and make a feature of it, it should look nice because of the brick wall (i hope, maybe i'm mad)

I am trying to do my conduit factors, but cant find any factors for multicore cables, the one length of conduit will haver 9 singles and 1x twin and earth, i need to know factors so that i can appropriately select my conduit sizes.

can anyone direct me to the place i can find factors for both singles and multicore / flat cables.

Thanks,
Chris

frontier219

Regular EF Member
Hello.

i've got a brick wall in my conservatory and ive painted it a color but left the bricks on show, currently the electrics for s/o and lighting are in shoddy plastic off cuts of mini trunking and exposed bits of old twin and earth.

I was thinking of using Galvanised conduit and put it on show and make a feature of it, it should look nice because of the brick wall (i hope, maybe i'm mad)

I am trying to do my conduit factors, but cant find any factors for multicore cables, the one length of conduit will haver 9 singles and 1x twin and earth, i need to know factors so that i can appropriately select my conduit sizes.

can anyone direct me to the place i can find factors for both singles and multicore / flat cables.

Thanks,
Chris
Don't know the answer to your question, but I would suggest black enamel would make a nicer feature than galv!

davesparks

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There are no conduit factors for insulated and sheathed cables as it is not a standard installation method. You will have to work it out for yourself i'm afraid.

ipf

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Get 3 or 4 bare pyros thrown in. Give over messing ...... and start dressing.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Hello.

Thanks,
Chris
what size singles? what size T and E?

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The flat twin cable should be treated as a circular cable that is the same diameter as the widest measurement of the flat cable. So for 2.5mm twin in 20mm conduit the max is one cable according to conduit factors. If you are asking how many 2.5mm twin you can actually fit in a 20mm conduit, the answer is two depending on length of run and bends.

Chrishands

Regular EF Member
The flat twin cable should be treated as a circular cable that is the same diameter as the widest measurement of the flat cable. So for 2.5mm twin in 20mm conduit the max is one cable according to conduit factors. If you are asking how many 2.5mm twin you can actually fit in a 20mm conduit, the answer is two depending on length of run and bends.
Hi thanks for reply, i Actually wanted to put 6 singles to switch witb 1x 1.5mmmsq in the same conduit. The 1.5 is power supply

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
6x 1.5mmsq singles ( 3x switch feed and return)
1x 1.5mmsq t+e existing supply to room for lighting circuit
T&E treated as I said in post#6, singles treated as per appx E from the OSG. Add together for final figure and reference against the appropriate conduit factor.

Or joint out the 1.5mm to singles before it enters the conduit and use appx E for singles only.

Or just stuff em all in.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
or use some nice shiny galv. trunking. loads of room in 2 x 2 , and no sweating with pull through or bender.

Chrishands

Regular EF Member
T&E treated as I said in post#6, singles treated as per appx E from the OSG. Add together for final figure and reference against the appropriate conduit factor.

Or joint out the 1.5mm to singles before it enters the conduit and use appx E for singles only.

what do the regs say about mech protection? All cables in house run along tge top of tge wall set back into the brickwork witb a wooden cover due to concrete ceelings, I could joint there, but I hate joints where avoidable seems like bad practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.