Discuss Getting confused with a Zs / time - regs in contradiction?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to work out whether or not I can put a C50 protected final circuit onto an SNE supply which already has a Ze of .67

Section 411 Table 41.3 (new book) gives me a max value of Zs as .46, so we need to use an RCD...right?? 411.4.9 goes on to say that you can do that for a non time delayed RCD, and use the values for a BS88-3 (.72 which still doesnt get me very far) - so why then does the list in 41.3 include RCBO's to 61009??

Or am I reading the whole thing wrong and need to go back to school?!

R.

41.3 refers to the overcurrent characteristics of RCBOs. refer to table 41.1 and 41.5

OK, but 41.5 refers to Zs's for TT systems as note 1 refers to 411.5.3 (i) and (ii), both of which refer to TT systems and circuits not exceeding 32A.

Ah! Got it. Reg 411.3.2.3 is the get-out clause for something not covered, so long as it doesn't exceed 5s.

So.... can anyone see an issue with using a 300mA RCD and 50A C type as protection for a 1ph final circuit to a 12kW ground source heat pump fed on 10mm singles in trunking, with a Ze at origin of .67?

well, as it's a circuit >32A and cables not buried in walls <50mm, you won't need a 30mA RCD. you would be using the 300mA RCD for fault protection so the max. Zs would be 167 ohms. sounds good.

Cheers Tel, I 'knew it should be' but trying to prove it was just defeating me - goes to show, two heads better than one (especially with the morning I'm having!!!).

This is why we went to sparky school and don't do £50 back pocket bungs in the pub. At least we know how to make something catch fire properly!!

Reply to Getting confused with a Zs / time - regs in contradiction?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net