Discuss Gloves in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lofty

Hi all,
Trust you all had a good Christmas. Anyway what do you think are the best gloves to use for outside / site work in these chilly times ? Woolen with Thinsulate or Neoprene ?.

Have had both of those recommended ( the fingerless versions) at the moment. Currently using a thin kid leather pair with the thumb and forefinger cut off. Thin enough to use but not all that warm.

Cheers,
Lofty.

1000 volt insulated. never mind the cold.

only work live if i have to. same as all. sometimes though, it's necessasry.

Hi All,
Thanks for the quick replies although some of them relate only to working live. I want them for working either outside e.g repairs to outside lights replacing photo cells etc. and at the moment and on a new build site during this cold spell doing first fixing and ouitside grilles for fans.

Cheers,
Lofty.

Irwin gloves are pretty good I've had a couple of pairs one normal set and one fingerless set. Given up with gloves really just can't feel enough through them and it just gets frustrating pulling them off every five seconds, this is only a problem second fixing but just can't be bothered.

Hi All,
Thanks for the quick replies although some of them relate only to working live. I want them for working either outside e.g repairs to outside lights replacing photo cells etc. and at the moment and on a new build site during this cold spell doing first fixing and ouitside grilles for fans.

Cheers,
Lofty.

It got me wondering where the live working part cropped up too. Had to go back and re read your post to check i'd not missed something

by the time you've decided on the right pair of gloves, it will be warm again so don't bother. that philosophy has done for me for 40 years, not see any reason to change.

Hi all,
Trust you all had a good Christmas. Anyway what do you think are the best gloves to use for outside / site work in these chilly times ? Woolen with Thinsulate or Neoprene ?.

Have had both of those recommended ( the fingerless versions) at the moment. Currently using a thin kid leather pair with the thumb and forefinger cut off. Thin enough to use but not all that warm.

Cheers,
Lofty.

Hi Lofty, what I do mate is to wear a pair of bog standard gloves - as issued on site, you know the type; elasticated with that thin rubber coating on the palm side - over the top of a pair of fingerless thinsulate gloves. Works a treat, even with socket screws... Alternatively, have you tried looking on the websites that sell ex military kit? Thats where I've picked up some really nice warm socks from mate. Its worth a try.

I'm currently using Contour Avenger gloves, ÂŁ14 for ten pairs in Costco, They are thin enough to retain your dexterity, small screws etc etc, They will survive a couple of rounds in the washing machine too.

I've also got some dewalt grippers - It's what i could get when i needed them, and i'm very pleased with them, not so good while your 2nd fixing, but fine for 1st fix and moving gear about.

Use the ones below and cut off the tips of the thumb and first finger. Take the edge off the very cold weather but prefer not to wear gloves at all.

ÂŁ2 from toolstation

79974.jpg

Last edited:
so talking about working live, can you comment on all times you have to work live in domestic, isit just fault finding... yous are the best... thanks

Reply to Gloves in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net