Discuss Help adding more wall sockets in bedroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Henstarr

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a double socket in my bedroom already but its not really enough and would love another double socket... i have the socket itself and have the tools to do it, i have the 25mm double earth wiring , i wanted to add a spur from the socket thats already there but when i undid the socket it has 3x main wires coming out from the wall and the live, neutral and earths are in there (x4) theres also a bundle of two cables that are just taped up? theres also a 25mm earth dual wire leading into it and i just feel like its already a spur? And i shouldnt add another socket to it if it already is one as that is unsafe? But ifeel its already unsafe and just am a bit lost but want sockets ahah, please help

Could you post a photo

89488CA5-5A05-4A09-BD42-9B1D4F1EF52D.jpeg4DE703DC-5D83-4A60-B413-66B148166CB7.jpeg7025E836-9E76-4D37-96CC-2E9F03639EF7.jpegE054A09C-DF18-4716-AB07-E22990535C04.jpegEF16F7C1-B11C-4967-B649-22162EAAE749.jpeg4FDD8773-3954-4025-83F3-0D91615C2023.jpegF78C5A49-5B76-42CE-B7AE-B044D400A0E0.jpeg9F0B723B-3B48-4929-BDB3-4C89B5AC3D4A.jpeg
its a bit of a maze of wires basically and i just have no idea tbh
[automerge]1585084851[/automerge]
The 4th pic is taken from the left , the 5th pic is taken from the right side
There are 3x 25mm earth duo cables coming out of the wall linking to the socket
And theres a 25mm earth duo cable coming into the socket from underneath that routes round my room and goes to where i cant see ... (i guess floorboards etc)
[automerge]1585084935[/automerge]
Pic 7 shows one of the things when un taped

Last edited:
I'm a bit puzzled by the comment about 25mm earths, all I can see are a few Twin & Earth cables (2.5mm2), some of which have the earth (which is 1.5 or sometimes 1.0 mm2) combined with others.

It's hard to see, possibly the ring has been extended to another socket via the trunking (rather than a spur). Which would explain the connectors in the pattress box. Or the original cables were too short hand have been extended, e.g. if there is a 1-gang socket box behind the pattress box?

Last edited:
How many cables go down that piece of trunking.

I'm a bit puzzled by the comment about 25mm earths, all I can see are a few Twin & Earth cables (2.5mm2), some of which have the earth (which is 1.5 or sometimes 1.0 mm2) combined with others.

It's hard to see, possibly the ring has been extended to another socket via the trunking (rather than a spur). Which would explain the connectors in the pattress box. Or the original cables were too short hand have been extended, e.g. if there is a 1-gang socket box behind the pattress box?
so theres 3x 25mm earths coming out from the wall , then theres 1x 25mm earth coming from the trunking
[automerge]1585086215[/automerge]
How many cables go down that piece of trunking.
just 1x 25mm earth
[automerge]1585086553[/automerge]

i cant see any 1 pattress box behind the one in the pictures (the house is a 1950/60's build if that means anything)

Last edited:
Where do the brown and blue of the cable which exits through the trunking connect to.

Reactions: DPG
No where do they connect to at that socket.

also the two bundles of cables taped up in the socket are 1x (3x Live wires) and 1x (3 Neutral wires)
[automerge]1585087075[/automerge]
No where do they connect to at that socket.
ohhhh.... the earth goes to the earth of the socket, the neutral goes to the trio of taped up neutral wires and the live goes to the trio of taped up live wires

I think what you originally had was that socket connected to a ring final, probably with another point spurred from it (three cables from the rear). Someone has diverted one of the original cables into those connectors to enable another spur, not sure why. Best advice is to consult an electrician as I am only speculating as the pictures aren't that clear.

Last edited:
  • Agree
so theres a blue wire from the socket that goes into the taped up neutrals, then theres a brown wire that goes into the taped up lives, then two live wires leave through the back wall and two neutrals leave through the back wall also

so theres a blue wire from the socket that goes into the taped up neutrals, then theres a brown wire that goes into the taped up lives, then two live wires leave through the back wall and two neutrals leave through the back wall also
There are three cables exiting the back.

I think my assumption in #11 is correct.

So this is it drawn out ..... the zig zag lines are 25mm twin earth cablesPLUG SOCKET.png
[automerge]1585088621[/automerge]
so you basically have two 25mm twin earths coming from the wall going into the live, neutral and earths of the socket, then the third one from the wall goes to the earth of the socket, then the live and neutral is taped up

the trunking 25mm twin earth cable only comes into the socket to be earthed, the live and neutral of that socket are then taped (along with the others)

I am pretty sure my assumption in #11 is correct. I wouldn't recommend further alterations until the existing set-up is checked out.

• Agree
if i added a spur from what you see, would it be safe?
I can only recommend you get it checked out by an electrician as it is not possible to make assumptions from the existing set-up.

i feel like two of the 25mm twin earths are meaningless, (one from the trunking and one from the wall) as they are both only earthing something else if ya see?
[automerge]1585089004[/automerge]
i feel like two of the 25mm twin earths are meaningless, (one from the trunking and one from the wall) as they are both only earthing something else if ya see?
the live and neutrals of both are not in use

Reply to Help adding more wall sockets in bedroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net