Discuss I'm an electrician not a chuffin alarm engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marc.cott

Hi ANYONE,
I work for the NHS as a maintenance electrician and have been asked to install a galaxy 2-12 alarm system.I can get the system full set and my exit device works as it should ,however the rest of my PIR's are not triggering the alarm but are showing status closed when system unset,also I seem unable to carry out a walk test on the system as it shows "no entries" om my MK7 keypad.
If the exit device works there is no reaon ,in my mind why the rest of my devices shouldnt trigger as they are wired up exactly the same and have the same resistance level as my "exit" device and I have set these up as "intruder".
This is my first attempt and its starting to REALLY ANNOY me
Can anyone help ,I don't even care if you patronise me

. i'm not familiar with the galaxy , have you wired the detectors conventionally or with end of line resistors? i would think that your problem lies with the zone programming of the panel. tazz is your expert for this. he'll probably be on tonight.

i have wired the devices conventionally with pair for power(+&-)and pair forswitching and tamper.One leg goes to tamper and one leg to switch,these are then linked via 1k resistors within the PIR as 1k is normally closed status and alarm status is 2k

What is your job description within the NHS?
Why have you taken this on?

The NHS will have “approved” contractors for this type of work. To be honest I’m surprised they asked you to do this.

Agreed ,hence my heading to my post.
It stems from "approved contractors installing one previously and then constantly having to come to maintain it due to it consistently faulting,and before you say why didnt you get a service contract ,one was in place ,however the faults that kept occuring were through no fault of their own(allegedly)and so once callout fees and charges for woork undertaken were included it was basically ripping us off.
I don't think I'm too far from having it fully operational and i believe it is something I have missed on the programming side but I was just hoping someone could helpThe system fully sets which it would not do if there was a fault on the installation side as far as I'm aware and the EXIT device works as it should.All other devices have been connected in exactly the same way

are these 1k resistors you have fitted?

Tony,the NHS is a completely different place than years back,non-definitive contract of employment,role overlap,stepped offset tasking...

Nobody there utters "Can't do that,not my job..."

My sister is "Shift Overseer"? on the Renal unit,at a large local hospital,and in addition to her Dialysis skills,she adds maintenance,janitor,orderly,porter,PR,administration,H&S,security etc etc

I haven't seen a Vascular Surgeon checking parking tickets yet.....but it's coming...:icon12:

Yes I've tested them and don't forget the EXIT device which has these resistors in works.I'm regretting volunteering myself to try to save the hospital money......my brothers in arms can't keep far enough away from the job !!!!!!!!The thing thats really annoying me is that i don't think I'm too far from successfully completing it and i feel as though the problem is probably staring me in the face but my brain seems to have rendered itself null and void.I don't know if I shouldn't just walk away from it for a bit

i'd be checking those resistors. 1 should be i parrallel with the alarm relay, and the other series to the tamper, then back to panel on the return leg.

i have wired the devices conventionally with pair for power(+&-)and pair forswitching and tamper.One leg goes to tamper and one leg to switch,these are then linked via 1k resistors within the PIR as 1k is normally closed status and alarm status is 2k

Conventional wiring use a pair for power, a pair for tamper and a pair for the alarm. When the alarm and tamper pair are combined on one pair this is E.O.L. (end of line) wiring, this can utilise a number of resistor combinations. I'm not familiar with the Galaxy panels but where normal and E.O.L. can be used this normally needs programming as to which type of wiring method has been used and sometimes if using E.O.L. what type of E.O.L. method has been used

Have you got the installation manual for the Galaxy Series?
They only use 3 wires, 1 to fault, and + & - power, with resisitors inside the sensors. You may need a 3k resistor across the fault terminals on the sensor.
It's all in the manual.

Cheers everyone for the advice.
I've opened up the drawing noted down for me and that is how i have wired up the sensors.Do you think it is down to something I have missed programming-wise.I will check, as mentioned in one of the posts if i have to programme sensors as E.O.L, .This is a steep learning curve as I have never installed an intruder alarm never mind an addressable commercial one.I sahll double check my devices against the one that i know works.
Once again cheers:ack2:

1K zone, 1K tamper for the galaxy, so you have it wired correct.....each instant zone must be programmed for guard, and exit zone for final exit....when arming exit zone must be opened then closed before system will set. There is a lot to program, hope you have the software to help.

Reply to I'm an electrician not a chuffin alarm engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net