Discuss I'm looking to identify an object in my roof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hptabx2

DIY
Reaction score
This electrical item sits on top of the plaster from the roof. There is a humming noise coming from it, it puts out a lot of heat and sometimes things in the room below will vibrate. It's very strange I know. I am unable to get closer to it as I have been informed that there is no manhole on the premises. Can someone please help me identify it?

There seems to be a black cable running into it and out of it. I have experienced hot flushes and red skin, could it be the cause?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0172~2 - instasize.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 67
Looks like a transformer, potentially for lighting. It is most certainly not the cause for your hot flushes, you should seek real medical advice for that.
thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply, I am hoping there is some way to identify the device. searching for wedge shaped power box has not got me very far

Perhaps work out which circuit it is powered from, that may (or may not) give some clues (e.g. by switching off circuit breakers).

Could it be some kind of whole-building ventilation unit?

Here are some more photos. I took a photo of the other side of the roof where all the main cables run. Basically it's 3 rooms joined together but separated by plaster. The side with the device in question has air con units along that side.

There is no ventilation as far as I'm aware. If it were a transformer, what kind of terms should I Google to identify it? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0186 - instasize.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0189 - instasize.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0186 - instasize (1).jpg
    583 KB · Views: 45
Do you have any recessed lights that take 12V lamps? Like these here in UK:

If you do in a room near it then almost certainly a transformer for them. I hate it when folks install that way, eventually it needs replacing and then it is a case of finding it and damaging the roof to get access :(

Do you have any recessed lights that take 12V lamps? Like these here in UK:

If you do in a room near it then almost certainly a transformer for them. I hate it when folks install that way, eventually it needs replacing and then it is a case of finding it and damaging the roof to get access :(
There is no lighting on that side of the premises, on the other side where the other power cables run there are these lights.

Appreciate all the comments so far and the general friendliness in this forum.

Attachments

• PXL_20231029_045347114.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20231029_045407507.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16

Reply to I'm looking to identify an object in my roof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net