Discuss Indoor split unit AC got burned in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Dear All,
I was called to a villa following a fire incident had happened. the Indoor AC, wall mounted split unit was partially melted and had caused fire in the room over night.
the indoor unit was fed through the outdoor unit and not a separate socket. The outdoor unit feeder on the DB has MCB and RCD protection.

I am guessing the fire had started because of some spark , or melting wire on the indoor unit which could be due to loose connection .

Any ideas how this could be prevented ?

Thanks for sharing your ideas

It is difficult to suggest anything when you are only able to guess on the cause.

if the unit had been there a long time, had it been serviced regularly?

It is difficult to suggest anything when you are only able to guess on the cause.

My mind instantly went to filters

the unit was being services only for mechanical parts not electrical. I ma just trying to find out what could be the reason and how it can be avoided on other units

the unit was being services only for mechanical parts not electrical. I ma just trying to find out what could be the reason and how it can be avoided on other units
A service should include checking motors and fans are free to rotate, filters are not clogged up, electrical connections are sound and have no signs of overheating.

Thank you. how do you think filters could cause fire?
filters gather dust and particulates, all of which can eventually catch fire when too much builds up so the airflow is restricted and heat cannot escape properly.

filters gather dust and particulates, all of which can eventually catch fire when too much builds up so the airflow is restricted and heat cannot escape properly.
Thank you. you are right. but this is a small wall mounted indoor unit and not too old. I doubt it would have collected alot of dust but you have a valid point

Reply to Indoor split unit AC got burned in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net