Discuss inverter with batteries v generator in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

C J's Snack Van

Hi, I run a catering vehicle with a generator but I want tofind out if I can run it off an inverter with batteries but don’t know how manybatteries I would require which would probably be 6 or 12v @280 ah which Iwould need to last for upto nine hours without dropping below the 80% dischargeper battery, as I work on the evenings I use 3 small strip lights which are16wtt bulbs on continuous, a kettle @1600w output use about 12 times per shift,microwave (750)1150w output, max run time per use 10 min, fridge/freezer 100wcontinuous, small bottlefridge 90w continuous, baked potato oven 1200w on forabout 3hrs a night, bain marie 1300w on about 5hrs per night, toaster 2200w onabout 20 times per night, looking at installing a 14inch flat screen tv wattsnot known, mobile phone charger and sometimes a laptop. Would be most gratefullif you could be of assistance.
Many Thanks
Clive Wickham

Hi:Without getting too deep into this, have you considered the extra weight & space these Batteries & Inverter would take in the Vehicle ? Depending on the make / type of Battery they weigh between 60 - 70 Kilos each & a 5 Kilowatt inverter for example weighs an extra 20 Kilos.

As for the cost it would be pretty high a Ball park figure for the Inverter alone is about £1.000 to £2000 then batteries again dependent on make / type £160 - £200 each and your going to need several. Add to that the Extra weight & cost of the cabling / battery holders etc.

Also the other consideration you've got is that a lot of Inverters won't Run Microwave ovens successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the search box on the RHS of the screen, this subject has been covered before. The outcome BTW was that the inverter idea was a dead duck! The shear weight of the batteries killed the idea.

Inverters can be used for the small areas or at home. Actually generator and inverters are usable only if that area occurs load-shading or any electrical problem. Mostly big shopping centers, malls and companies prefers generators.
C J's Snack Van you have posted very useful information.

what size battery is it that weighs 60-70 kilo how many ah are they at that weight, also i had been told that pure sine inverters are able to run microwaves. as my genny weighs in at nearly 100 kilo.
many thanks for your info
Clive Wickham

Hi Clive: You asked about 260 amp hour so that was what I based it on, had a look at several & came back with 62, 64 & 69 kilos per Battery. Some pure Sine wave Inverters may but not all of them & the cost for the size you'd be looking at is pretty Horendous. As Tony said: The question has been looked into before.

Thanks for the info been hard to get from some people looks like they were after my money without them really knowing the answers i needed, glad i found this forum,
many thanks again
looks like genny wins
Clive Wickham
ps do you mind if i add your a link on my website for this forum as it may come in handy for lots of others,

Clive, your welcome mate: In all honesty I know quite a few people with Mobile Catering units & none of them have gone for Battery / Inverter set up's due to size & cost. With Regards a link on your website: Drop JASON a pm & he can tell you.

Good luck with the Business.

Just a suggestion on this one is a small inverter for lights etc and an auto start genny when the power demand increases. That way you don't need a huge inverter and everytime the microwave/baine marie etc etc is on, the batteries can be charging too

I didn't realise there was a rule against it. And yes, this project may have been sorted but there may be others who can still benefit from the information within the old threads

I fit 12v 100Ah batteries for telecoms companies. The brand we use, enersys, weigh 28kg each so you could maybe use 4 which would take up a space under 600mm x 600mm and about 150mm high.

Just incase the weight and size issue was a dealbreaker...although the cost might still be!

install 12vdc pv low energy lighting - power from pv panels either flexible glued to roof or fixed on roof or small portable ground stand or pv briefcase type
with 12vdc mppt charge controller with generator input to charge batteries if extra power is required , cheap leisure batteries for caravans or high quality off grid batteries , with inverter if required for other ac loads

Reply to inverter with batteries v generator in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net