Discuss Is Part 'P' enforceable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The last building inspector I spoke to wanted me to send him the Part 'P' certificate directly to him so he could sign it off.He said waiting for the NIC's notification from them took a few weeks delay.He never asked to see the installation certificate!.
It really gets my goat that I have to jump through all different hoops to be qualified and safe and yet no one gets in trouble when jokers like this do their own work.I despair:(
Welcome to modern Britain !

Having been asked recently by some old customers and their conveyancing solicitors for copies of electrical certs & compliances certificates they forgot to store in a safe place, I kinda feel they are catching on to this thing now.

I boring myself repeating this, but I moved house last year. You are required to fill and sign a legal document, stating, amongst other things, if you've had any electrical work carried out since 2005.

If you research indemnity insurance, some suggest its not worth the money. It only indemnifies you against legal action by your LBC, but not for poor workmanship (there's a time limit on regularisation for prosecution or enforcement). And who wants to buy a property thats a bag or worms, so to speak.

. And who wants to buy a property thats a bag or worms, so to speak
A certificate or a notification is no guarantee of anything. My friend bought a brand new house two years ago. All NHBC, part P, FENSA, signed off by LABC.
Two years later he is still battling for about a dozen issues to be fixed.

Bob had he done that in the US and the local code enforcement found out he would be took to court and probably fined him $ 500.00 plus the state would get their state investigator to go out and investigate the job himself and yes he can have it took loose. Then charge him for that service of doing it over.
I love the American legal system. We really need to sit up and take notice.

Maybe once we are out of the shackles of Europe we could get shackled with America as the 51st state.
[automerge]1568912208[/automerge]
Having been asked recently by some old customers and their conveyancing solicitors for copies of electrical certs & compliances certificates they forgot to store in a safe place, I kinda feel they are catching on to this thing now.

I boring myself repeating this, but I moved house last year. You are required to fill and sign a legal document, stating, amongst other things, if you've had any electrical work carried out since 2005.

If you research indemnity insurance, some suggest its not worth the money. It only indemnifies you against legal action by your LBC, but not for poor workmanship (there's a time limit on regularisation for prosecution or enforcement). And who wants to buy a property thats a bag or worms, so to speak.
I’ve been asked a lot more than I ever have also. I think your right.

Des
Allthough in essance i agree with you that there are too many chancers and jokers out there that can and do carry out ---- work. there are also a lot of very good electricians that are not registered due to the fact they are employed by a company that is registered as such do installations to a very good and safe standard but only do domestic works for freinds/family or even in there own property yet are not allowed to fill in a test cirtificate from their registered company due to fact that company has not done invoicable work on the property and because the clowns at the councils are just pen pushers with tick boxes to wok off its is sometimes like talking to a brick wall not to mention they just see an opertunity to dip the owners pockets for money.
Oh the arguments i have have with thickos its all good fun especially when they try telling me that a 2 miniute Part P qualified numpty is going to have to inspect a 30 year qualified electrical engineer with test and inspection 16th, 17th & 18th edition SAP qualified and HND in electrical engineering's work. Me thinks not.
Phewf.….I've just come up for air after trying to read the 'sentences'. I agree with the lines of your post, especially the last paragraph...but the bad spelling and lack of commas and full stops left me out of breath.;)

almost me. 30+ years, 16th, 17th, HND. can't be arsed to jump another hoop (18th), college ain't got access for my zimmer frame.

Gees. I’ve been in the business 29 years. If you count the 4 year apprenticeship started at 16.... was out the business, back in... out, in out... shook it all about!

16th, 17th and 18th... and an unused BSc

I’ve done a few jobs where LABC have been involved and only one asked for my gold card. (No P up here)
I think that was more my customer being an argumentative t**ser and the council making him do everything to the letter.

It’s all good and well the householder taking out indemnity insurance against a whoever did the dodgy electrical work.....but I’d imagine the insurers will certainly be chasing the installer should the worst happen,

part pee is a joke. at the time, it was a golden opportunity to make all electrical work ( excepting simple accessory swaps DIY) only to be carried out by qualified sparks, similar to the gas safe register, but apparently there was not enough clout brought to bear by the trade and insufficient income for the scams and the likes of b&q, who sell electrical equipment to any punter with the cash , to make this work. a case of a horse designed by a useless committee and the result being a a camel.

part pee is a joke. at the time, it was a golden opportunity to make all electrical work ( excepting simple accessory swaps DIY) only to be carried out by qualified sparks, similar to the gas safe register, but apparently there was not enough clout brought to bear by the trade and insufficient income for the scams and the likes of b&q, who sell electrical equipment to any punter with the cash , to make this work. a case of a horse designed by a useless committee and the result being a a camel.
I mostly agree... however the problem I always have, is that membership of a scam does not prove competence. I know many sparks who are highly competent but not scam members... and I've come across quite a few scam members who are utterly clueless !

It's the same for Gas Safe too... I only trust one person to work on my gas and he's not a member... illegal I know, but I don't take the safety of myself or my family lightly.

Gas safe registered contractor!
img_1716-jpg.52396

IMG_1716.jpg

In answer to your original question

Is part P enforceable?

Yes there are ways to enforce it.

However is part P enforced?

No, however as mentioned solicitors are a lot more clued up on requirements and now ask for EIR and building notification certs as st@ndard.
Not sure when this started happening, but I’ve received a few requests for copies of certs that have been lost.
It’s a really good step in the right direction.
Given time everyone who sells or buys a property will learn the importance of these documents and start employing sparks who are able to notify instead of the man down the pub because they know in the future it will affect there property sales.

In answer to your original question

Is part P enforceable?

Yes there are ways to enforce it.

However is part P enforced?

No, however as mentioned solicitors are a lot more clued up on requirements and now ask for EIR and building notification certs as st@ndard.
Not sure when this started happening, but I’ve received a few requests for copies of certs that have been lost.
It’s a really good step in the right direction.
Given time everyone who sells or buys a property will learn the importance of these documents and start employing sparks who are able to notify instead of the man down the pub because they know in the future it will affect there property sales.
I love your optimism... but I've bought and sold many many houses over the years and the whole thing about having a certificate or not is never ever an issue. I fully expect the vendor to answer that question about any recent electrical works with a NO... I have never heard of any cases of legal action due to people incorrectly filling in that form.

I think if we are to change anything... we need to get building surveyors to actually survey ! and check everything out properly.

A couple who answered "no" on a standard conveyancing form which asked if they were aware of any disputes about the property they were selling have been found liable for fraudulent misrepresentation and have had to pay their buyers £67,500 in compensation and costs.

The case, which lawyers believe is the first of its kind, is a dire warning for anyone embroiled in a dispute with a neighbour who hopes to sell up and put it behind them. Anyone who sells a house in England and Wales has to fill in the seller's property information form, which has a standard question about disputes.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
Judgment was delivered at Portsmouth county court last October

Reply to Is Part 'P' enforceable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net