Discuss Is this genral knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers for all the answers it looks like Ive got lucky and asked a good question for a change!
Im sure I've lost jobs in the past by asking to many questions (possible at the wrong time in fairness) but you can't be sure, It would be a shame if it did but it does slow things down bit!
Still I've been educated here and left to ponder if I want which is the main thing so thanks for that. Hopefully any other questions are just as good

As far as I knot the tag was already cut, but I think I would sooner cut it of if it was on and pull the fuse if I had to upgrade the tails or change a cu. I'm trying to think of a way to do that that means I won't get electrocuted and no one has shown me a way yet and I can't think of one

Even if you didn't pull the main fuse say and put the tails into a temporary board wouldn't that be a bit risky if it was live as there so stiff. Surely you can't leave em live and make sure you don't brush against them either

Cheers for all the answers it looks like Ive got lucky and asked a good question for a change!
Im sure I've lost jobs in the past by asking to many questions (possible at the wrong time in fairness) but you can't be sure, It would be a shame if it did but it does slow things down bit!
Still I've been educated here and left to ponder if I want which is the main thing so thanks for that. Hopefully any other questions are just as good

As far as I knot the tag was already cut, but I think I would sooner cut it of if it was on and pull the fuse if I had to upgrade the tails or change a cu. I'm trying to think of a way to do that that means I won't get electrocuted and no one has shown me a way yet and I can't think of one

Even if you didn't pull the main fuse say and put the tails into a temporary board wouldn't that be a bit risky if it was live as there so stiff. Surely you can't leave em live and make sure you don't brush against them either

"Someone" once told me that an unused nozzle from a silicone tube fits nicely over the bare end of a meter tail just jam it on then secure it with a bit of insulting tape to make sure that it doesn't drop off. ;)

Thats interesting I wonder who told them that

It was a long time ago and I'm not sure that I remember now and not even sure if I have ever done it, but I can see it being a lot easier and safer than trying to wrap insulting tape around the live bare ends or shoving them into a choccy block.

It was a long time ago and I'm not sure that I remember now and not even sure if I have ever done it, but I can see it being a lot easier and safer than trying to wrap insulting tape around the live bare ends or shoving them into a choccy block.
Is that then connecting into henley block then new tails from there because as far as I can see it the fuse would need to come out to uprate the tails in a lot of cases

Is that then connecting into henley block then new tails from there because as far as I can see it the fuse would need to come out to uprate the tails in a lot of cases

Don't ask me ...... I'm only a plumber.

BUT .... I'm a plumber who knows that silicon cartridge nozzles fit very nicely on the live ends of meter tails.

Don't ask me ...... I'm only a plumber.

BUT .... I'm a plumber who knows that silicon cartridge nozzles fit very nicely on the live ends of meter tails.
Dont look at me im just an amateur musician honest

rymetava.jpg

Dont have a clue where grade 4 one is and stopped lessons cause of work just before was going to do 5.

Could have joined raf etc as musican sigh the contracting life for me then

Last edited:
So although they say don't pull the main cut out, you haven't got a lot of choice if u decide to opt for 100per cent not electrocuting yourself? So why do people tut when it's done, I just don't get that If I'm honest!

So although they say don't pull the main cut out, you haven't got a lot of choice if u decide to opt for 100per cent not electrocuting yourself? So why do people tut when it's done, I just don't get that If I'm honest!
Because they would rather pay the dno to turn up pull the fuse then come back later to put it back in

Edit changed breaker to fuse

Last edited:
I’ve spoken to grid control at Castle Donnington a few times when we needed our 33KV supply switching.
They used to moan if we wanted a breaker put in to circuit earth. Opening and closing was remote, they had to send someone out for anything else.

I’ve spoken to grid control at Castle Donnington a few times when we needed our 33KV supply switching.
They used to moan if we wanted a breaker put in to circuit earth. Opening and closing was remote, they had to send someone out for anything else.
Lol I know one of people in the call centre there tony? a right mouthy woman

Reply to Is this genral knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net