Discuss Kitchen down-lights not working, and - what's going on in this picture?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

JSha

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all -

Let me preface this by saying I'm definitely not an electrician - I've rewired some lamps/appliances, changed fuses, and have done a couple of down-light transformers, but that's about the extend of my experience.

One of my 9 kitchen down-lights (halogen) has been intermittently going out, and finally completely stopped a few weeks back. So, I finally bought a new transformer and installed it today (exact same specs). After connecting it all up, but while the transformer/light/wiring were still hanging from the ceiling, I turned the circuit back on at the breaker, and flipped on the switch (non-dimmable) in the kitchen and hey presto - all was working fine.

Then, I put some electrical tape over various bits, and then put it all up in the ceiling as normal - but after turning the circuit back on and turning on the switch, now none of my lights are working.

Any ideas?

Also - one bizarre thing to point out is this thing in the attached pictures. I assume it's some sort of earth setup? But I've never seen anything like it, it's not on the other downlights in the kitchen, and it looks pretty dodgy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will happily get an electrician in early this week, but curious to know if anyone knows what's going on.

Attachments

• IMAG0549.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 22
that, my friend is known in the trade as a RAF job ( rough as F***). you really need to get an electricain in to sort that mess out and test for safety. if you post your rogh location, i'm sure an experienced member will be close enough to help.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Telectrix, and for giving me a new technical term to use ;-).

The lights are all now working again...but I really can't tell you why, all I did was replace the connector with a new one and reconnect it all, which doesn't make me feel any better about it.

We've got an electrician that we used on our old house once or twice, so will give him a shout, but if he can't help I'll definitely be back to ask for a recommendation.

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Is that a lathe and plaster ceiling overboarded with platerboard?.I would recommend replacing the current fittings with led units such as arora or halers,should last 10 years,maintenance free and minimal heat,will tidy that all up and less running costs over a long period.Worth some thought.

Reply to Kitchen down-lights not working, and - what's going on in this picture?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net