Discuss Limitations on electrical installation certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How can a non conductive piece of plastic become an ECP?
I know, it can't :). I stated classed as extraneous (I know it is not really as it is not part of the electrical installation) when really I suppose the pipe work becomes an exposed conductive part when connected through an immersion or boiler, whatever it is classed as, it is connected to earth via cpc. The thing is, it wont meet the criterial of NOT being extraneous on the IR test (>23k), so you would have to main bond it. Well that is how I see it :)

Blimey this has run and run. has anyone actually had a look at an EIC and/or the Schedule of Inspections that goes with it. There isn't anything on either that has anywhere to record a LIM or N/V, unless i have missed something. If i have can you point it out to me please.

Before you all jump the gun, the forms i refer to are the IET model forms, not some made up mickey mouse NICEIC garbage.

Cheers..............Howard

I know, it can't :). I stated classed as extraneous (I know it is not really as it is not part of the electrical installation) when really I suppose the pipe work becomes an exposed conductive part when connected through an immersion or boiler, whatever it is classed as, it is connected to earth via cpc. The thing is, it wont meet the criterial of NOT being extraneous on the IR test (>23k), so you would have to main bond it. Well that is how I see it :)
So you'd bond a bit of plastic?

It is not ideal to put limitations on EICs but it would be impossible not to with regards on routing of cables within prescribed zones and erection methods on a original installation, also ( not verified ) should never be used on any inspection with I would be worried if the contractor could not locate main bonding as it would be the first thing I look for on any installation. If the contractor is registered with the appropriate governing body they take responsibility for that limitation unless it's agreed with you In writing .

It is not ideal to put limitations on EICs but it would be impossible not to with regards on routing of cables within prescribed zones and erection methods on a original installation,
? If I've done somethng that warrants an EIC I know exactly where my cables runs are and what the erection methods are.
Remember, you're certifying YOUR work.

It is not ideal to put limitations on EICs but it would be impossible not to with regards on routing of cables within prescribed zones and erection methods on a original installation, also ( not verified ) should never be used on any inspection with I would be worried if the contractor could not locate main bonding as it would be the first thing I look for on any installation. If the contractor is registered with the appropriate governing body they take responsibility for that limitation unless it's agreed with you In writing .

Have to dissagree with you there jlohm.....so tell me, when installing a new circuit what do you put in the supply protective device characteristics box, if you cant legally access the fuse? And dont say contact DNO, cos they wont have a clue.

How about on a more complicated commercial install with no access to the main switch room, and all you are doing is running out a new lighting circuit from a remote DB, Zdb test fine, continuity to local pipe work test fine?? Maybe your the sort that wants to shut the whole commercial install down to gain a true Ze, if so thats your problem!:yesnod:

I make and design my own certs via word, based on the non-statutory BS7671 standard forms and as such I can put whatever I like on my forms......limitations, N/Vs or even kisses if appropriate...
so there:devil:

Those things should be inspected at first fix stage so that you know they are in the right place.

How can a non conductive piece of plastic become an ECP?

Don't no what others are referring to, but i'm refering to say, a converted to plastic incoming service pipe where the existing copper pipework is still in place. In situations such as blocks of flats, office blocks and other similar large buildings, (even houses with solid concrete floors) that existing pipework can quite easily remain extraneous via/through the fabric of the building itself!!

I've just done a domestic extension where I felt it appropriate to LIM two lines on the test sheets - seemed daft to not include the only two circuits I hadn't touched (being a PV feed and the cooker feed) so I included them on the circuit list but LIM'd them. Agreed that any new circuit shouldn't have a LIM as if it's been newly installed then it has to be all tested and compliant anyway.

Reply to Limitations on electrical installation certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net