Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Easy MSC,

What are the costs to go through the MCS process with your company?
What time period is involved?

We are a very experienced company and have good HSE policies and procedures in place. We are wanting to gain our own MCS approval.

Regards

Papa-Golf

Why dont you just write the manual youself, seems like you are most of the way there already. Took me a weeks worth of evenings to finalise mine, got through without any dramas, and now have a document I control that fits my business exactly, not to mention a healthier bank account.....

Hi easy MCS,

Are you offering a discount to forum members?

I would like to go ahead with a company within the next few days and would prefer a forum sponser.

I will be making payment to the chosen company this Tuesday so a speedy reply would be appreciated.

Thankyou,

James

hi there easy mcs,

im a subby & working for a company at present installing solar pv. is it hard for a sole trader to gain mcs as i may have to possibly sub out between jobs & hopefully do my own jobs.

what do i need to get in order to prevent a million conformities??

i did the nic eic course for pv which was poor imo. anyhow i think it's pretty straight forward & any approved spark can do it after one install & being taken through the commisioning.

The manual is easy to write, take the assessment guide from your chosen awarding body, combine witht he relevant MCS document and go through step by step answering the question "How would I do that" and write it down. Most comapnies are taking a "Cut and Paste" document and shoe horn your company into it (in some cases very badly). I saw 1 document for a mid sized roofing company, they paid just short of £5K and it was shocking. There were references to other companies, spelling mistakes, paragraph numbering errors, flow charts that did not make sense, errors in forms etc.

In most cases you will be spending in the region of £1K. take a week out and do it yourself, yes you are not earning, but then again you aint spending!!. You then have a document that is yours, you know it inside out, and most of all it fits your company.

Id be very tempted to put money on the fact, that Every supplied MSC manual will state you will have to set up a quarantine area!!!!

Well,

So far so good!

Discount for being a forum member and very good service and aproachable, helpful people.

Will keep you all updated on how it goes!

Thanks Easy MCS!

Hi All,

I hope the below helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

SSEG Details:
Manufacturer and model type: Details of Inverter used on the installation

Serial number of SSEG: Serial number of inverter

Serial number / version numbers of software (where appropriate): in most cases you would put N/A unless you are using software to monitor the performance of the system

SSEG rating (A) and power factor (under normal running conditions): This is provided by the manufacturer and can be found in the operation and user manual e.g 1 26A power factor 1

Maximum peak short circuit current (A): In practice the correct application of the various short-circuit ratings needs to be fully understood by the circuit designer to avoid leaving a circuit or equipment with inadequate short-circuit protection.IEC60781 provides an application guide for calculation of short-circuit currents in lowvoltage radial systems.

Type of prime mover and fuel source: E.G Wind Power

Location of SSEG within the installation: Location Of Inverter

Location of multi pole isolator: Location of DC Isolation switch

Installer Details:
Accreditation/Qualification: Qualifications to complete the installation also MCS certificate number where applicable

Information to be Enclosed:
Final copy of circuit diagram: You would answer "Yes" and include a circuit diagram within you application you can get advice on this from Energy Saving Trust publication CE72

SSEG Test Report (Appendix 4) or web address if appropriate (not necessary if already provided e.g. under a Stage 2 connection): Answer "Yes" and included a copy of your test report within your application.

Computer print out (where possible) or other schedule of protection settings: Answer "Yes" and show protection equipment on system schematic.

Electricity meter(s) make and model: Details of the newly fitted generation meter on which the FIT will be calculated

Declaration - to be completed by Installer: you should answer all questions with a "yes" or "No" if no then this section should be investigated. all questions should be answered to the best of your knowledge.

This is a really helpful answer, understand most of form requirements now, 2 Q's SSEG test report, is this the DC test results? Protective device is this the spec of the RCD?

Many thanks again

Hi All,

I hope the below helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

SSEG Details:
Manufacturer and model type: Details of Inverter used on the installation

Serial number of SSEG: Serial number of inverter

Serial number / version numbers of software (where appropriate): in most cases you would put N/A unless you are using software to monitor the performance of the system

SSEG rating (A) and power factor (under normal running conditions): This is provided by the manufacturer and can be found in the operation and user manual e.g 1 26A power factor 1

Maximum peak short circuit current (A): In practice the correct application of the various short-circuit ratings needs to be fully understood by the circuit designer to avoid leaving a circuit or equipment with inadequate short-circuit protection.IEC60781 provides an application guide for calculation of short-circuit currents in lowvoltage radial systems.

Type of prime mover and fuel source: E.G Wind Power

Location of SSEG within the installation: Location Of Inverter

Location of multi pole isolator: Location of DC Isolation switch

Installer Details:
Accreditation/Qualification: Qualifications to complete the installation also MCS certificate number where applicable

Information to be Enclosed:
Final copy of circuit diagram: You would answer "Yes" and include a circuit diagram within you application you can get advice on this from Energy Saving Trust publication CE72

SSEG Test Report (Appendix 4) or web address if appropriate (not necessary if already provided e.g. under a Stage 2 connection): Answer "Yes" and included a copy of your test report within your application.

Computer print out (where possible) or other schedule of protection settings: Answer "Yes" and show protection equipment on system schematic.

Electricity meter(s) make and model: Details of the newly fitted generation meter on which the FIT will be calculated

Declaration - to be completed by Installer: you should answer all questions with a "yes" or "No" if no then this section should be investigated. all questions should be answered to the best of your knowledge.

All now clear with one exception Max Peak Short Curcuit Current? can anyone explain how to calculate, is it not 16A if circuit protected by 16A MCB?

N/A inverter based.

Most people forget that this form is used for all G83 connections of all types of generator...

Yep, just write "N/A Inverter Based System" in the box

If you check the G83 certificates of almost all the inverters, they will say the same thing with more words

Many thanks

You might be able to help with solar thermal?

Looking for in roof, slate 5m square for 250l unvented tank.
Do WB supply?

Regards

hi there easy mcs,

im a subby & working for a company at present installing solar pv. is it hard for a sole trader to gain mcs as i may have to possibly sub out between jobs & hopefully do my own jobs.

what do i need to get in order to prevent a million conformities??

i did the nic eic course for pv which was poor imo. anyhow i think it's pretty straight forward & any approved spark can do it after one install & being taken through the commisioning.

Hi Billy I just wanted to check that someone had been in touch with you regarding our service, i have been attending exhibitions all over the country so have not been on the forum recently. please feel free to contact me if i can help . Simon Roberts Easy MCS [email protected] 0844 414 6041

Easy MCS Would like to congratulate CBW ( James Brown) on gaining MCS accreditation, I hope you found our service useful and the MCS process was not too much trouble.

Once again thank you for using Easy MCS and good look in the future.

I am little confuse as to what is exactly needed and what costs are involved from day one to being granted MCS accreditation for a company, could somebody please list each step, what qualifications are needed, the costs of each step and qualifications, I need to submit a financial proposal and I need to get it right first time, there is different conflicting information and I have failed to find somebody to give me simple step-by-step, cost-by-cost guidance

I see electrical qualifications needed, I see schemes have to be joined, I see courses have to be taken, I see QMS have to be set up, I see inspections have to be made, so a little clarification would be appreciated.

Assume that I have no formal training or qualifications (although 20 years building experience)

Any help or information would be appreciated, and also pointing to the best places (and most reasonably priced) to gain all that is needed.

I am little confuse as to what is exactly needed and what costs are involved from day one to being granted MCS accreditation for a company, could somebody please list each step, what qualifications are needed, the costs of each step and qualifications, I need to submit a financial proposal and I need to get it right first time, there is different conflicting information and I have failed to find somebody to give me simple step-by-step, cost-by-cost guidance

I see electrical qualifications needed, I see schemes have to be joined, I see courses have to be taken, I see QMS have to be set up, I see inspections have to be made, so a little clarification would be appreciated.

Assume that I have no formal training or qualifications (although 20 years building experience)

Any help or information would be appreciated, and also pointing to the best places (and most reasonably priced) to gain all that is needed.

Hi Solar Fit,

The circumstances and qualifications vary based on the aim of the company and how they are looking to function as an MCS approved contractor. If you would like to drop me an e-mail I will happily discuss this further with you to give you an accurate outline of costs and requirements to ensure i provide you with the correct information relevant to your organisation.

my e-mail address is [email protected]
I hope this helps.

Hi Simon,

I have already been in contact with your company, and have already chosen you to help gain the QMS, I just need clarification on whats required, qualification wise etc, I have sent you an email, and hope you can give some greater information.

Kevin

Thanks Simon!

I found it all very daunting, frustrating and stressfull, I struggled to run my small electrical business and set this all up at the same time.

I have to say given all the other current pressures, without your help, I PERSONALLY would not have succeeded!

THANKYOU!

The MCS guy at the Installer live conference was less than impressed with these companies who say they can get you MCS registered. Tommy Walsh was interviewing him and he said he'd been "asked to leave" one stand after he questioned some of that companies claims.

The MCS guy said that they offer "free" advice over the telephone to anyone who is struggling to get through registration. They said they are approachable, and will not bite your heads off.

Of course, he didn't say which stand he got thrown off, but I did see a couple at the show. He seemed quite upset by the episode.

I'm going through Napit for my MCS, so with Napits helpline, and the MCS's, it hopefully be plain sailing, fingers crossed. After all, the government want as many MCS firms as they can get. They don't want to turn you away for petty reasons I guess. It's a money making scheme for them after all.

Hi when i found out where my area G83 forms should be sent (duff info ment posted to scotland) they only want electronic applications! i filled out appendix 2 forms with LOADS of stuff included(overkill) but very nice lady rang me to say as its only 16amp then G83 appendix 3 form :) 2 page EAST PEASEY FORM . If its over 16amp it appendix 2 form but still quite simple when you have completed a couple.

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net