Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

With regards to the Isolation, I would put the main AC plus locations of the DC Isolators too. As its for the DNO, they will want to know how to disconnect, and the main AC will do this. Not only is this the export route, but its the AC supply for the inverter and without it it will shut down.

SSEG test report is the commissioning documents you complete for each and every install. In effect its your decleration the install is operational and functioning correctly.

@Simonsaid,

That's a scary question, are you MCS registered?

We are MCS registered, all documents on our first job where filled out correctly but was not certain as to where the commissioning docs were to be sent.
We produced the MCS cert off the website but still need to send docs to DNO. Thanks for your help.

Hi, Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

Our Solar Photovoltaic Course will provide those who successfully complete it with access to MCS registration. Once the course is successfully completed, OLCI is able to guide you through the MCS registration with a relevant organisation such as NICEIC, who we are partnered with.

If you have any further queries please give us a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me at [email protected] with your name, phone number and a suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes, Alana Fox

hello, I'm just in the process of doing my solar PV course at the minute,

I work for a builder who is putting me through the pv, they are already MCS accredited for heat pumps, solar therrmal and bio mass... but want to add solar pv

as I am their subby, and I am the only one with part p etc, I have just done the health and safety course and have the NICEIC PV course next week,

but was wondering how it works, I assume the builder just gets another technology added to their accreditation, and that relys on me working for them, so will I be MCS inspected and then they get inspected, or do we all meet up together?

thanks

John

hello, I'm just in the process of doing my solar PV course at the minute,

I work for a builder who is putting me through the pv, they are already MCS accredited for heat pumps, solar therrmal and bio mass... but want to add solar pv

as I am their subby, and I am the only one with part p etc, I have just done the health and safety course and have the NICEIC PV course next week,

but was wondering how it works, I assume the builder just gets another technology added to their accreditation, and that relys on me working for them, so will I be MCS inspected and then they get inspected, or do we all meet up together?

thanks

John

Hi John,

It sounds like the Builder will be going for a scope extension for PV, and within this extension you will be nominated as the quality supervisor for this technology (resulting in you ensuring all technical aspects are covered i.e calculations and specifications). You will then sign off all works under your computant person scheme.

You will be required to attend the inspection as you will be asked questions on the installation.

I hope this helps, have you considered gaining MCS yourself?

thank you,

yeah it is something that has rattled around in my little brain, but I'd still need a builder/roofer to do the other side for me.... and I could potentially end up doing solar all the time if I'm not careful (and I love being self employed for the diversity) so I thought I'd go with the flow and then see what happens in the future....

the builder has about 70 properties that they would like to put PV on before the next cutoff, (which should get me up to speed ;)) and already has 2 customers waiting for the accreditation to get solar,

spoke to a few guys in the office today.. they are really buzzing about getting this sorted, and one said I'd have to make sure I charged enough, so it may be that it's as easy to stick it out together anyway as we have a really good working relationship

Hi Easy MCS, I got through the QMS from you guys,its very easy to follow thanks.
but maybe you or other on here can point me in the right direction as to what the Assessor will be requiring in terms of system design?
Will they require Cabel Calcs for cable sizing, or will the schematic diagram be sufficient? and will we need to leave scaffold up for them to take a look at the modules mounted on the roof or can he do that from a ladder??

cheers

V

Hi Easy MCS, I got through the QMS from you guys,its very easy to follow thanks.
but maybe you or other on here can point me in the right direction as to what the Assessor will be requiring in terms of system design?
Will they require Cabel Calcs for cable sizing, or will the schematic diagram be sufficient? and will we need to leave scaffold up for them to take a look at the modules mounted on the roof or can he do that from a ladder??

cheers

V

Hi VMAN,

As part of the Easy MCS service you have full access to our trained MCS mentors who will be more than happy to help you with this and any aspect of your MCS accreditation process. If you please call the office at your earliest convinience and we will assign you a mentor.

0844 4146041

I look forward to hearing from you.

I've just used the Easy MCS QMS to set up our paperwork system for MCS accreditation with NAPIT. I found it really straight foreward to use as I'd been running iso9001 for a previous company. It took me about a week to tailor it to our company, spending about 2-3hrs a day on it.
We had our inspection a couple of weeks ago and only picked up a couple of minor non-Conformities and one that has proved to be a royal PITA! First we were asked for a procedure for roof inspection and suitability whick Easy MCS duly sent me. I sent this off and it still didn't suffice. Long story short, we have now had to take on board a self employed surveyor to inspect all our roofs prior to install.

Anyone else had any problems with roof surveys?

ILong story short, we have now had to take on board a self employed surveyor to inspect all our roofs prior to install.

TBH, I'm glad to hear it, - this will casue MAJOR problems for the cheap end boys, the national sales led companies and even the likes of British Gas and Tesco

WRT roof surveys, it has just tightened up see the thread: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...energy-forum/36062-nic-mcs-pv-installers.html

Choosing NAPIT has probably just saved you a right royal headache!

You wouldn't want a roofer install electrics, you can't expect an electrican to do a roof survey.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm glad to hear it, - this will casue MAJOR problems for the cheap end boys, the national sales led companies and even the likes of British Gas and Tesco

WRT roof surveys, it has just tightened up see the thread: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...energy-forum/36062-nic-mcs-pv-installers.html

Choosing NAPIT has probably just saved you a right royal headache!

You wouldn't want a roofer install electrics, you can't expect an electrican to do a roof survey.

Agree 100% with you worcester, its just that the regs are so vague. They state that a structural engineer need only be consulted if there is any doubt. Unless you are actually qualified to survey a roof there will Always be doubt.
My biggest problem was finding someone willing to carry out the surveys.

HI Graeme. In answer to your question as pasted below:

"Quick question on the above. The DNO 'should' have the details of their own meter serial number, typ and manufacturer. Surely this is the details of the newly fitted generation meter on which the FIT will be calculated, otherwise there is no registration ingo on this new meter that is generating at a higher p/KWh than the DNO meter."

The FIT is calculated from the meter that is newly installed by the PV installers. It displays all energy in kWh that is generated by the PV system whether it is used by the owner or fed back into the grid. So the details you include on your G83 form are those from this newly installed meter and not the existing one. The customer is paid about 43p for kWh measured by the newly installed meter. The extra 3 pence or so that the consumer receives for feeding back into the grid (on top of the 43p or so they have already been paid for producing it) is usually an estimate based on the power rating of the PV system. Most DNO/suppliers that I have heard about make an estimate rather than having an export meter to actually measure how much energy is actually fed back into the mains.​

Hi All,
On an PV installation whereby the dc feed is taken inside the house to a junction box and then down through the house and taken out of a further junction box at the lower end to the inverter. Is this within the MCS guidelines for suitable equipment ? rather than using straight 4mm or 6mm core cable directly to the inverter.

Dusty

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net