Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi, we had the same issue with the structural considerations. We got a structural engineer to write us a letter for £50 declaring the safeness of the roof/house with the added weight. (plus wind/load considerations). We were told that we could have passed this bit (for free) by reading up on BRE 489 & BRE 495 documents (that are available for free online) and to do our own calculations. The problem was we didn't have the time, also the fact that although you can do your own calculations, there are no figures (that we could find) that shows what to compare our figures with. (to say whether we were ok or not). In terms of passing the MCS, they just want to know that we have taken wind/load into consideration, and as long as there seems to be some justification for our actions, this kinda helps them to remove liability from themselves. Hope that helps. Regards.

BRE489 is for wind loads and has calculations
BRE495 is for roof loads but I can not find calculations

so you can do the wind loads cals but not roof load or are the two the same ?
I never done the cals myself but paid for them to be done by local company ! but could save a few bob if I do them myself

BRE489 is for wind loads and has calculations
BRE495 is for roof loads but I can not find calculations

so you can do the wind loads cals but not roof load or are the two the same ?
I never done the cals myself but paid for them to be done by local company ! but could save a few bob if I do them myself

They are not the same. The surveyors informed us that the allowable load on a domestic roof is 1.0 KN/sqm. you can work out by adding weight of all the panels/mountings (then converting to kilo newtons)

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net