Discuss Mechanical Protection for cellar where kegs are delivered. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing a job where the cables to the pumps used to buried in concrete. Don't ask me why but I am there to fix it.

Cable has a fault and need to replace.

A inch channel of the brick work removed is now there so am going to clip the cables into the channel. But as it is in the cellar and a small chance of a whack by a keg want to put in some further mechanical protection.

Any quick suggestions out there? And links or addresses to buy the gear?

You assess the risk of damage that the cable may be exposed to and provide suitable protection to ensure cable damage risks are minimised.

As we are not there in person its hard to tell you the best method for the environment its in.

You say an inch wide channel if its deep enough will the keg not be able to contact it do to the narrow nature of the chase?

"You say an inch wide channel if its deep enough will the keg not be able to contact it do to the narrow nature of the chase?"

They, two pumps,will be completely inside the channel.

Was thinking a strip of 3mm (?) metal plate but as it bends and then carries on around the corner need some sort of ribbing (?) to protect it in case cables come loose from clips and come into contact with the plate.

can you run cables in galv. 20mm steel conduit?

Think you may be over thinking this, fix the cable securely and it won't come loose if you have a pic' it would save alot of questions if you are still worried about cable damage run in swa or steel conduit and run into a termination box so you can connect the pump flex to it (assume the pumps are pre-flexed and sealed)?

Think you may be over thinking this, fix the cable securely and it won't come loose if you have a pic' it would save alot of questions if you are still worried about cable damage run in swa or steel conduit and run into a termination box so you can connect the pump flex to it (assume the pumps are pre-flexed and sealed)?

Cables come pre wired into a special plug for the pump, 1.55kw Jung Pumpen sewage pumps, so don't want to cut and re-terminate. And the length of the cable is plenty for the run to the panel.

Forgot to mention that float switching cable and a 230V sump pump cable also being run into this channel.

And I ain't paying for any materials so just gonna get what I can see as suitable

A very tough outdoor 5 core plus earth flex. Really tough stuff but still want a bit of protection even though it will be clipped inside the channel and not protruding at all.

If I use a metal plate do I have to earth the plate?

It sounds to me like you want to do the job as cheap as you can, when you say "I ain't goin to pay for any materials" am I right?

Sorry that was meant to come out as the complete opposite as you read it, my bad.

I'm not paying for any materials that I need to use so I have the pick to use anything that I want and the customer is paying the cost.

Trickle info can be frustrating it changes how we see your problem and reply; now i see the set-up better thanks to you POST 7 reply.

Simple answer run a surface 2/2 galv trunking to the control panel simple to fit no cutting of cable and not really expensive.

Good idea Darkwood, I was going to suggest that, honestly, but after reading POST 7 I really didn't know what to think, your reply is probably the best one seeing as ntaylor48 doesn't want to cut the cables

Hmm.

I like the galv trunking idea, just thinking about earthing now. Copper straps between joints, size of earth required...

There is a earth bar in the control panel that I believe I could use, depending on the size of the earth I need to run.

Bolt it all together soundly and just earth at supply end ..if it was the functional earth for the cables then the straps across the joints would be needed or manufactured pre-strapped pieces...

I assume the cable flexes have their own earth if LV.

Bolt it all together soundly and just earth at supply end ..if it was the functional earth for the cables then the straps across the joints would be needed or manufactured pre-strapped pieces...

I assume the cable flexes have their own earth if LV.

Yep, the flex cables have their own earth that terminates at a earth bar inside the panel.

I think we are onto the winner there darkwood. You are a legend and a scholar.

4mm will do it for an earth right?

If contained within the trunking it only has to match the control panel supply earth ... if its run uncontained then yes 4mm or above dependent on its use will meet regs

Reply to Mechanical Protection for cellar where kegs are delivered. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net