Discuss Meter tails 10m long in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A customer has Rewired their house, and has run all the cables to a new a location they want the CU in, DNO has apparently told them, they can't move the incomers and meters without everything being tested and certified, creating the obvious issue that its not possible to test and certify without the supply.

The only option it seems i have, is to run the tails from the old incomer to the new board location, test it, then ask the dno to move the incomers.
The only issue is, ther meter cables would be as long as 8m. Im going to put a non combustible switch fuse for additional protection at the current incomer but im not sure if that's sufficient, the tails will be run from the attic in kopex for additional mechanical protection.

Just wanted to know if this is sufficient?

Sounds like someone has their wires crossed, (pardon the pun)

Of course it can’t be fully tested without power, but what happens when the DNO are asked to put in supplies to a new build that doesn’t have an electrical installation yet?

Speak to DNO yourself. It may be that you can do the dead testing, checking for IR etc and that will be enough for them to put in a supply where it’s needed.

It’s kind of pointless running extra long tails, with a possible up front RCD depending on method of installation…. And testing it… then ripping it all out to replace with just regular short tails.
Will need live testing again as the source has been altered. Zs may have changed.

I agree with what @littlespark has said

Sounds like your customer is not understanding the DNO correctly and from your post it sounds like you have little experience in dealing with new supplies or moving existing supplies so it's a bit of a learning curve for you
So first thing is speak to the DNO, the information given to your customer by the DNO is to force them into employing a qualified electrician so the installation is tested to ensure it is compliant with the regs as the ESQCR does not allow the connection of non compliant installations
So liase with the DNO and do all the dead tests and complete the live tests once the DNO has moved the supply

I agree with what @littlespark has said

Sounds like your customer is not understanding the DNO correctly and from your post it sounds like you have little experience in dealing with new supplies or moving existing supplies so it's a bit of a learning curve for you
So first thing is speak to the DNO, the information given to your customer by the DNO is to force them into employing a qualified electrician so the installation is tested to ensure it is compliant with the regs as the ESQCR does not allow the connection of non compliant installations
So liase with the DNO and do all the dead tests and complete the live tests once the DNO has moved the supply

Yes you're right, my only experience in last 4 years in this industry with dno is taking permission to remove cut out lol

Im going to speak to DNO, see what they say, its uk power networks.

Supposing they refuse,
Im thinking switchfuse with RCD in both ends
Run each tail in metal cased rubber kopex.
Its a shame its gonna get all ripped out after, but if im going to certify it first, has to be done unfortunately.

Thanks for your help, any other suggestions?

you only need to provide an EIC with dead tests entered. once supply is on, you can expand the EIC to a full version.

EIC with dead tests only and limitations on live testing entered. This shows the DNO that the installation is safe to energise, live testing can be done once the supply is connected.

I just tell the DNO where to put the cut out. They put in the supply cable (or move the old one if practical) fit the cut out, then the meter person connects the meter to the cut out and the two or four pole isolator. That's it. Never been asked for any thing to prove that whatever may be connected to that isolator by me is safe. They do there bit what happens after the isolator is my problem.

I just tell the DNO where to put the cut out. They put in the supply cable (or move the old one if practical) fit the cut out, then the meter person connects the meter to the cut out and the two or four pole isolator. That's it. Never been asked for any thing to prove that whatever may be connected to that isolator by me is safe. They do there bit what happens after the isolator is my problem.
I think it varies from different dnos.

A customer has Rewired their house, and has run all the cables to a new a location they want the CU in, DNO has apparently told them, they can't move the incomers and meters without everything being tested and certified, creating the obvious issue that its not possible to test and certify without the supply.

The only option it seems i have, is to run the tails from the old incomer to the new board location, test it, then ask the dno to move the incomers.
The only issue is, ther meter cables would be as long as 8m. Im going to put a non combustible switch fuse for additional protection at the current incomer but im not sure if that's sufficient, the tails will be run from the attic in kopex for additional mechanical protection.

Just wanted to know if this is sufficient?
When you say a customer has rewired their house...do you mean you have rewired it or they have

When you say a customer has rewired their house...do you mean you have rewired it or they have
The customer rewired it, I came in and gave him the routes and did all the bonding. But suddenly he decided he wants his incomer moved because the store cupboard its in now, is where he wants to put the stairs for his loft conversion.
He's a civil engineer so was quite good at construction work.

DNO fits Cut out and seals, MOP fits meter and DPI but leaves CU tails disconnected, seals everything except DPI load terminal cover is plastic seal. Cut out to meter tails normally 3 metres maximum. Electrician then tests and connects to DPI.

Death tests are a common think, I do one once a month for places where either tennant went arround the meter (and got caught) or ex weed plantations. You will state death test in limitations and use lim where not applicable. If you use software for certs you can even skip wrong questions. Add into notes that instalation is safe to energize for further testing, but futher test are necessary "After supply is provided" to acess condition and assure safety of the continued ussage of installation.
Then as stevels4 said they will move the supply and you can inspect the rest.
I find limiting or disconnecting most of the circuits "for the duration of the work" is useful, SO you wont have to do schedule of test results for too many circuits twice... (you do actually need to prevent its energisation for this)

Reply to Meter tails 10m long in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net