• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Moving CU / meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m having the hall redecorated and am looking to relocate the CU and meter. Currently they are in a cupboard by the front door, but I would like to have this cupboard taken out and have a small cupboard built on the adjacent wall. I know the CU can be moved easily enough by a competent, qualified electrician, however I’m unsure about the meter and the main fuse. Obviously this would have to be done by the DNO, but does this always involve groundwork outside or can it sometimes be done without any excavation?

Thanks for reading and hopefully my post isn’t too uninformative.
Regards
Beeg

Attachments

• Moving CU / meter DB3F69F2-A122-4BA6-AC7C-A41780C11FC5 - EletriciansForums.net
    DB3F69F2-A122-4BA6-AC7C-A41780C11FC5.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 63
Anything is possible,
Get a local spark or 2 to quote.
Ask the dno for a price.

Do not be surprised if the total cost comes in at 3 to 5k

It is going to be an expensive job, moving, extending circuit cables...
To move the main cable, the DNO will need to isolate the incoming cable, then maybe joint it to reach the new position.
Isolating can affect a number of your neighbours, so the have a lot of organising to do. Don’t expect it to be done in a weeks time or anything.

I expect you’ll want the gas meter moved too? That’s also an eye watering cost.
I know the CU can be moved easily enough
Not really easily. Each and every connection to the CU will need to be extended and rerouted to the new location. It looks like some of those cables come from below and done from above, so there will be some disruption to access cable routes.

I know the CU can be moved easily
What makes you think it can be moved easily! Doesn't look that easy from your photo with final circuit cables coming down from the CU and presumably going up too. Although in the grand scheme of things, moving the CU would be relatively cheap!
Presumably you want to move the gas meter too as in the same cupboard all in all an expensive job!
Obviously anything can be done for a price!
Best speak to the DNO for price and cable route as obviously can be done without excavating if already an overhead supply but if underground then doubt it.

Reply to Moving CU / meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back